Welcome to Newcrest!
Newcrest is one of the world's largest gold mining companies. As a global business, we aim to create a diverse and inclusive environment where everyone feels safe, valued, and supported to bring their whole unique self to work.
We recognise that our different backgrounds and perspectives help us find better ways to: solve problems; attract and retain the best people; explore, develop, and produce more gold safely and profitably; and help make Newcrest a better place to work.
Following the recent acquisition of Pretivm, Newcrest now own and operate the Brucejack Mine located 65 kilometers north of the town of Stewart in northern British Columbia.
The Brucejack underground mine is one of the largest and highest-grade gold mines globally and as of January 1, 2021 has proven and probable mineral reserves of 3.9 million ounces of gold (14.4 million tonnes grading 8.3 grams per tonne gold) with a mine life of 12 years.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a qualified Ventilation Engineer to join the Brucejack Mine in Northwestern, British Columbia.
The Ventilation Engineer’s primary responsibility is to ensure adequate ventilation is present in all work headings in the mine and ventilation compliance with the Health, Safety and Reclamation Code for Mines in British Columbia.
Preform the following duties with safety being the number one priority:
- Conduct weekly ventilation surveys, issue directives to Mine Operations to repair any deficiencies or make improvements
- Issue weekly reports to Mine Operations summarizing ventilation measurements in all the active headings, clearly identifying any deficiencies
- Develop short and long term ventilation plans as required to ensure continued adequate ventilation in the mine using 3 month or long range plans
- Issue ventilation work plans to Mine Operations
- Work closely with the project and planning engineers to ensure adequate development and systems are planned to satisfy ventilation requirements
- Maintain a roster of all the diesel mining equipment and their ventilation specification requirements
- Keep track of all the fans and their specifications, ensure there are adequate spares
- Maintain the Ventsim model and conduct simulations to help verify validity of proposed changes and to optimize the ventilation system
- Prepare cost analysis of the ventilation systems to feed into operational reports
- Continually seek opportunities to improve the ventilation system by researching new technologies, discussions with engineering, operations, and maintenance personnel, carrying out tests and measurements and submitting proposals for change
- Update and submit plans as required to the mines inspector
- Complete other activities that are not necessarily ventilation related to support the general mine operations.
- Lead or assist Ventilation on Demand capital projects
- Lead team in transitioning from Vulcan data into Deswik model space
What we offer:
We are committed to ensuring that our team members are kept healthy and safe. To achieve this, we provide comfortable camp accommodations, as well as balanced meals prepared by our culinary team.
Team members can expect access to TV and Wi-Fi, our on-site gym, and a variety of recreational activities.
All our team members are also rewarded with a host of great benefits, including:
- Travel allowance and arrangements made for transportation to and from site
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience, skills, and qualifications
- Ongoing training with continuous growth and development opportunities
It is important to note that the safety and wellbeing of our team is our top priority. As such, we promote a drug and alcohol-free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug and alcohol testing.
BSc. Degree in Mining Engineering or equivalent combination of seasoned technical knowledge and experience combined with a minimum of two (2) years of experience at an underground mine.
- Advanced computer skills (ie. AutoCAD, Ventsim, Vulcan,Deswik, Microsoft Office etc.)
- Exceptional planning, organizational, communication and problem solving skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills (English)
- Ability to liaise effectively with management teams and deal with complex problems
- Strong knowledge of Federal and Provincial mining & safety legislation and regulations.
- Work at remote location (camp) on a 13 days on/13 days off rotation
- Able to pass a pre-employment medical screening
- Must be able to lift/move up to 50lbs throughout a work shift
- Be able maintain high levels of performance over 12 hour shifts
- Able to work in areas of extreme weather conditions
- Able to work in close quarters with the team
- Brucejack promotes a drug and alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug and alcohol testing
Our commitment to you:
At Newcrest, we hold core values that focus on caring about people, working together, and achieving a high-performance culture through innovation and problem solving.
Newcrest’s commitment to diversity and inclusion respects both the rights of every individual to work to their highest potential, free of discrimination, as well as the cultures, religions, and governing codes applicable to each country in which we operate.
Newcrest promotes a drug and alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug and alcohol testing.
If you share our values and feel that you could make a meaningful difference in this role, submit your application online before the advertised application closing date.
IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR AN EXCITING NEW CHALLENGE, JOIN NEWCREST AND THE BRUCEJACK MINE TODAY!