Welcome to Newmont!
Newmont has recently acquired Newcrest Mining creating the world’s leading gold mining company.
With operations around the world, our workforce reflects the diversity of the communities where we operate. We aim to create an inclusive environment where everyone feels safe, valued, and supported to bring their whole unique self to work. We bring out the best in each other, inspiring performance and a shared belief that what we do matters.
Our Brucejack operation is now recruiting for the position of Mine Superintendent with a competitive base salary between $163,200 – $195,500 dependent on experience, skills, and competencies with consideration to internal equity with an additional short-term incentive of 20%.
The Mine Superintendent is responsible for leading, planning, and coordinating all underground mining operations at the Brucejack mine site while ensuring maximum productivity and mineral extraction, while optimizing mining methods, procedures & equipment. The Mine Superintendent will oversee the execution of mining operations in compliance with all Health & Safety, Environmental standards and other relevant policies and regulations. The Mine Superintendent will also be required from time to time fill the Acting Mine Manager role in the Mine Manager’s absence.
Perform the following duties with safety being the number one priority:
- Oversee the operations of the underground mining operations through coordination with Engineering, Geology, Maintenance Departments, and Mine Contractor.
- Review data, survey reports and geological records in consultation with engineering, maintenance, and relevant personnel to plan and direct optimum mine development.
- Plan and coordinate production strategies as well as labor, material & equipment resource requirements to meet production goals and schedules while ensuring all relevant personnel are aware and understand productivity requirements.
- Evaluate efficiency of production sites and recommend operational changes to ensure that production and development goals are met.
- Ensure availability of materials, parts, and tooling to meet production deadlines.
- Manage all underground activities while ensuring the safe and efficient day-to-day operations.
- Oversee application & compliance with all government regulations and site policies/procedures.
- Develop, monitor, and track budget objectives to optimize cost effectiveness for the company.
- Prepare and distribute Daily/Weekly/Monthly reports as required.
- Foster a Team Environment while maintaining accountability as a fundamental core value.
- Review, verify and approve labor, equipment, and material (LEM’s) invoices and purchase order requests.
- Tour and inspect underground mining operations and surface facilities to detect and resolve production, equipment maintenance, safety, atmospheric, and personnel problems.
- Develop and generate Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s).
- Ensure a constructive and creative environment for business improvement within the Mining Department.
- Maintain a positive working relationship with First Nations contractors.
- Coordinate required activities to ensure the long-term integrity of the fixed assets (infrastructure and mine development).
- Perform other similar or related duties such as researching new and improved methods and products for mine production and overseeing the acquisition and installation of new machinery.
- Lead studies toward transitioning into Newmont self-perform mining.
What We Offer
We are committed to ensuring that our team members are kept healthy and safe. To achieve this, we provide comfortable on-site accommodations with private washrooms, including excellent balanced meals prepared by our culinary team. Team members can expect access to TV and Wi-Fi, our on-site gym and a variety of recreational activities including a golf simulator, high-intensity fitness classes, yoga classes, seasonal snowshoeing, and hiking groups. You will also have access to a fully equipped music room while on site.
All our team members are also rewarded with a host of great benefits, including:
- Travel allowance and arrangements made for transportation to and from site
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience, skills, and qualifications
- Competitive Benefits and Registered Retirement Savings Plan matching program
- Ongoing training with continuous growth and development opportunities
It is important to note that the safety and wellbeing of our team is our top priority. As such, we promote a drug and alcohol-free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug and alcohol testing.
Position requirements include, but are not limited to:
- A degree in mining engineering or equivalent experience.
- 15 years’ experience in mine planning and production operations. Underground mining experience is an asset.
- Professional engineer designation is an asset.
- Demonstrated management abilities in both technical and operational settings.
- Leadership ability and desire to build and develop strong teams.
- Experience working in remote camp settings.
- Experience working and interacting with government regulators/inspectors.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- A team player and the ability to work under pressure.
- Demonstrated strong supervisory skills.
- Results-driven creative thinker.
Our Commitment to You
Newmont is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Underpinned by our values of Safety, Sustainability, Integrity, Responsibility and Inclusion, our commitment is to respect the rights of every individual to work to their highest potential, free of discrimination, as well as the cultures, religions, and governing codes applicable to each country in which we operate.
If you share our values and feel that you could make a meaningful difference in this role, submit your application through our website before the advertised closing date.