Welcome to Newcrest!
Newcrest is one of the world's largest gold mining companies. As a global business, we aim to create a diverse and inclusive environment where everyone feels safe, valued, and supported to bring their whole unique self to work.
We recognize that our different backgrounds and perspectives help us find better ways to: solve problems; attract and retain the best people; explore, develop, and produce more gold safely and profitably; and help make Newcrest a better place to work.
The Brucejack Mine is an operating underground gold and silver mine and is considered one of the highest-grade operating gold mines in the world. It is located 65 kilometers north of the town of Stewart in northern British Columbia.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a qualified Heavy Duty Mechanic to join the Brucejack Shop located at the Brucejack Mine in Northwestern, British Columbia.
Located approximately 65 kilometers from Stewart, BC, you will report to the Maintenance Supervisor or designate, and work a rotating schedule of two weeks each rotation.
In this role, you will ensure all mechanical mobile equipment related to the building, construction and site operation(s) are maintained in safe and working order while supporting all Newcrest Health & Safety policies and regulations.
Responsibilities will include:
- Checking bulldozers, cranes, graders, other heavy construction, and mining equipment for proper performance and inspect equipment to detect faults and malfunctions.
- Checking underground drills, scoops, haul trucks and various underground equipment for proper performance and inspect equipment to detect faults and malfunctions.
- Diagnosing faults or malfunctions using computerized and other testing equipment to determine extent of repair required.
- Adjusting equipment and repairing or replacing defective parts, components, or systems, using hand and power tools.
- Testing repaired equipment for proper performance and to ensure that work meets manufacturers' specifications.
- Cleaning, lubricating, and performing other routine maintenance work on equipment.
- Servicing attachments and working tools such as harvesting and tillage equipment, blades, ploughs, winches, and side booms.
- Performing equipment repairs underground. (respirator / fit testing required i.e clean shaven.)
- Participating in any other site-specific training.
- Other duties and responsibilities to support the success of the Brucejack Gold Mine.
What we offer:
We are committed to ensuring that our team members are kept healthy and safe. To achieve this, we provide comfortable on-site accommodations with private washrooms, including excellent balanced meals prepared by our culinary team. Team members can expect access to TV and Wi-Fi, our on-site gym and a variety of recreational activities including a golf simulator, high-intensity fitness classes, yoga classes, seasonal snowshoeing, and hiking groups. You will also have access to a fully equipped music room while on site.
All our team members are also rewarded with a host of great benefits, including:
- Travel allowance and arrangements made for transportation to and from site
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience, skills, and qualifications
- Ongoing training with continuous growth and development opportunities
It is important to note that the safety and wellbeing of our team is our top priority. As such, we promote a drug and alcohol-free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug and alcohol testing.
As the successful candidate, you will have an Inter-provincial Red Seal Trade qualification as a Heavy-Duty Equipment Mechanic (Technician) and a minimum of four (4) years of experience in the maintenance of diesel and gasoline mobile and stationary equipment, preferably in an industrial or heavy industry setting. Previous experience with maintenance of underground mobile equipment would be an asset.
You will also possess:
- A minimum of a valid Class 5 driver’s license or higher.
- Certification in workplace hazardous materials information system (WHMIS.)
- Certification in Transportation of dangerous goods (TDG.)
- The ability to lift/move up to 50lbs throughout a work shift and maintain high levels of performance over 12-hour shifts.
- The ability to pass mandatory medical/drug/alcohol testing and a criminal background check.
- Ability to work at remote location (camp) on a 13/2/13 rotation.
Our commitment to you:
At Newcrest, we hold core values that focus on caring about people, working together, and achieving a high-performance culture through innovation and problem solving.
Newcrest’s commitment to diversity and inclusion respects both the rights of every individual to work to their highest potential, free of discrimination, as well as the cultures, religions, and governing codes applicable to each country in which we operate.
If you share our values and feel that you could make a meaningful difference in this role, submit your application through our website before the advertised closing date.
IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR AN EXCITING NEW CHALLENGE, JOIN NEWCREST AND THE BRUCEJACK MINE TODAY!