Welcome to Newcrest!
Newcrest is one of the world's largest gold mining companies. As a global business, we aim to create a diverse and inclusive environment where everyone feels safe, valued, and supported to bring their whole unique self to work.
We recognise that our different backgrounds and perspectives help us find better ways to: solve problems; attract and retain the best people; explore, develop, and produce more gold safely and profitably; and help make Newcrest a better place to work.
Following the recent acquisition of Pretivm, Newcrest now own and operate the Brucejack Mine located 65 kilometers north of the town of Stewart in northern British Columbia.
The Brucejack underground mine is one of the largest and highest-grade gold mines globally and as of January 1, 2021, has proven and probable mineral reserves of 3.9 million ounces of gold (14.4 million tonnes grading 8.3 grams per tonne gold) with a mine life of 12 years.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for an Underground Miner to join Newcrest’s Brucejack Mine. The position reports directly to the UG Mine Supervisor or designate.
As a miner your primary responsibility is to support the mine operations team to execute various tasks of the mine plan at the Brucejack Mine. Perform the following duties with safety being the number one priority:
Perform the following duties with safety being the number one priority:
- Demonstrate awareness and commitment to health, community, and environmental protection in keeping with Newcrest’s goals and objectives.
- Maintain a safe work environment through effective work area inspections, hazard identification and following safe work procedures for each task.
- Identify and remediate workplace hazards including housekeeping, ground support assessment, scaling and ensure all critical controls for the task are in place and effective.
- Safely operate underground mobile equipment and heavy equipment such as haul truck, scoop tram, scissor deck, boom truck and telehandler.
- Installing, maintaining, and inspecting mine services including ventilation ducting and fans, air/water/drain lines and paste distribution lines.
- Troubleshooting, installation and plumbing of mine dewatering pumps.
- Perform paste watch duties and area inspections as required.
- Maintain underground sumps and complete basic construction activities as needed.
- Performing basic maintenance on operating equipment including pre-start checks, refueling, lube fill and washing down.
- Performing related duties and activities as directed by the Underground Supervisor or designate.
What we offer:
We are committed to ensuring that our team members are kept healthy and safe. To achieve this, we provide comfortable camp accommodations, as well as balanced meals prepared by our culinary team.
Team members can expect access to TV and Wi-Fi, our on-site gym, and a variety of recreational activities.
All our team members are also rewarded with a host of great benefits, including:
- Travel allowance and arrangements made for transportation to and from site
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience, skills, and qualifications
- Ongoing training with continuous growth and development opportunities
It is important to note that the safety and wellbeing of our team is our top priority. As such, we promote a drug and alcohol-free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug and alcohol testing.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Ability to work safe and promote safe behavior in others.
- Experience operating heavy equipment preferred.
- Sets high standards for self and others, builds trust, and takes accountability.
- Shotcrete / concrete / construction experience would be considered an asset.
- Slinging / rigging experience would be considered an asset.
- Knowledgeable in underground mining practices and applicable regulations.
- Minimum 2 years of experience working in an underground mine environment
- Valid Class 5 driver’s license.
- Experience in mining, mineral processing, and construction activities.
- Strong communication, leadership, planning, time management organizational skills.
- Detail oriented and adheres to workplace safety requirements and operating procedures.
- Ability to record and maintain daily records.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Positive attitude and enjoys being a proactive member of a high performing team.
- Cross cultural awareness of the differences in cultural and economic backgrounds.
- Work at remote location (camp) on a 13 days on/13 days off rotation with 2 days travel. It will require work on nights, weekends, and rotating shifts; shift schedules require residency in on-site camp during work rotations.
- Able to pass a pre-employment medical screening
- Be able maintain high levels of performance over 11-hour shifts
- Able to work in areas of extreme weather conditions
- Able to work in close quarters with the team
- Able to work underground in a mine-site setting
- Able to talk, hear, and use hands and fingers to manipulate objects, or controls.
- Able to climb ladders and to work at heights.
- Able to work in all weather conditions.
- Able to move/carry objects up to 50 lbs.
- Able to wear appropriate and required underground Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
Our commitment to you:
At Newcrest, we hold core values that focus on caring about people, working together, and achieving a high-performance culture through innovation and problem solving.
Newcrest’s commitment to diversity and inclusion respects both the rights of every individual to work to their highest potential, free of discrimination, as well as the cultures, religions, and governing codes applicable to each country in which we operate.
Newcrest promotes a drug and alcohol-free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug and alcohol testing.
If you share our values and feel that you could make a meaningful difference in this role, submit your application online before the advertised application closing date.
IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR AN EXCITING NEW CHALLENGE, JOIN NEWCREST AND THE BRUCEJACK MINE TODAY!