ERM is seeking an outstanding professional to join our Smithers, BC, Vancouver, BC, or Calgary, AB office as an Environmental Terrestrial Ecologist Consultant to support our Mining and Energy teams.
As a member of the team, you will act as a terrestrial ecologist in western Canada, with capacity to conduct work in other jurisdictions across Canada. Work will include ecosystem and soils mapping, field site investigations, vegetation and soil inventories, vegetation assessments, wetland delineation, wetland and terrestrial ecological assessments, and mitigation planning for ERM projects in the mining and energy sectors, including the drafting of impact assessment reports, management plans, and collation of best management practices. The successful applicant will have some exposure to environmental effects analysis and offset/compensation planning as it relates to implementation of federal and provincial policies. More broadly, the applicant must show an interest in applying knowledge and skills to help our clients solve complex challenges in these sectors. This role has tremendous potential for career growth with the successful candidate having opportunities to directly interact with clients and regulators and participate in business development. The successful candidate will be a member of a large multidisciplinary biodiversity and impact assessment team in Canada and will become a member of an extensive team of global environmental and social experts.
This posting is designed for a motivated, career-minded person who enjoys problem solving and working within a multi-stakeholder environment.
- Develop and lead terrestrial ecology and soils field programs primarily in BC and Alberta.
- Support preparation of soils, terrestrial ecosystem, and wetland assessments for EAs/EISs and associated management plans in compliance with applicable federal, provincial/territorial requirements.
- Perform project delivery activities such as survey field work, data collection, literature review, report writing, and developing recommendations for clients.
- Assist with developing various environmental permitting applications.
- Support preparation of proposals, including development of scopes and cost estimates, and participate in business development with existing clients and identified leads.
- Work on multiple projects within client’s scope/budget/schedule expectations and ensure quality standards on project deliverables.
- Communicate with subcontractors, regulatory agents, landowners, and clients during field activities.
- Build strong collaborative relationships with other ERM employees worldwide.
- B.Sc. degree in Sciences, Environmental Engineering or related field. M.Sc. preferred.
- 3+ years of environmental consulting experience; prior experience in government, and/or mining or oil and gas sectors are considered assets.
- Environmental Assessment experience.
- Expertise with Federal, Provincial and Territorial regulations and guidelines pertaining to survey methodologies and environmental assessments.
- Wetland and upland plant identification, including grass species.
- Experience with soil surveys and mapping.
- Experience completing Terrestrial Ecosystem Mapping projects in BC according to provincial standards, guidelines and procedures an asset.
- Holds relevant professional designation, or immediate eligibility.
- Wildlife identification and wildlife habitat assessment skills an asset.
- Strong commitment to safety, including following established health and safety protocols.
- Ability to follow directions and take initiative when required.
- Excellent communication, organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines in a demanding work environment.
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record.
- French language skills an asset.
If you are looking for new challenges and desire to be part of a leading company and work with specialized professionals with international standards, this will be your opportunity.
Please follow the link to our careers site to apply below:
Qualified candidates will be contacted by email. Based on review of these responses, shortlisted candidates will be invited for interviews. Thank you for your interest in ERM!
Environmental Resources Management (ERM) is a leading global provider of environmental, health, safety, risk, social consulting services and sustainability related services. We have more than 160 offices in over 40 countries and territories employing more than 4,500 people who work on projects around the world. ERM is committed to providing a service that is consistent, professional and of the highest quality to create value for our clients. We have worked with many of the Global Fortune 500 companies delivering innovative solutions for business and selected government clients helping them understand and manage the sustainability challenges that the world is increasingly facing.
For over 40 years we have been working with clients around the world and in diverse industry sectors to help them to understand and manage their environmental, health, safety, risk and social impacts. The key sectors we serve include Oil & Gas, Mining, Power, and Manufacturing, Chemical and Pharmaceutical. All face critical sustainability challenges and our clients in these and many other areas rely on our ability to assist them operate more sustainably which has a positive impact on our planet.
Our people are outstanding, our workplace is energized! And we continuously strive to be the preferred place for environmental and other professionals to build meaningful and rewarding careers.
ERM is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
ERM does not accept recruiting agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, ERM employees or any other company location. ERM is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.