Welcome to Newcrest!
Newcrest is one of the world's largest gold mining companies. As a global business, we aim to create a diverse and inclusive environment where everyone feels safe, valued, and supported to bring their whole unique self to work.
We recognize that our different backgrounds and perspectives help us find better ways to: solve problems; attract and retain the best people; explore, develop, and produce more gold safely and profitably; and help make Newcrest a better place to work.
The Brucejack Mine is an operating underground gold and silver mine and is considered one of the highest-grade operating gold mines in the world. It is located 65 kilometers north of the town of Stewart in northern British Columbia.
We currently have an opportunity for a Sample Preparation Technician to join the Brucejack Mine in northern British Columbia.
Perform the following duties with safety being the number one priority:
- Receive, unpack, sort, weigh, load and unload metallurgical and geological samples.
- Login samples, prepare and print sample and reject labels.
- Process ore samples by crushing, splitting, sieving and pulverizing and transferring pulverized materials into designated sample bags/ envelopes.
- Perform sample disposal as needed.
- Performing quality control tests on crushers and pulverisers as required and record all required data on the designate forms.
- Assist with duties/tasks to meet lab production and processing deadlines and initiatives.
- Use correct methods in accordance with the established procedures and schedules while ensuring analytical quality.
- Ensure that equipment is maintained in good order making the supervisor aware of any damaged or defective equipment or any equipment requiring adjustment (i.e. pulverising time or crushers gapping).
- Monitor consumables and supplies and liaise with Senior Assayer or designate to ensure that correct stock levels are maintained.
- Keep all records and notebooks in good order including work order and equipment maintenance logs.
- Practice good housekeeping and maintain clean and tidy workstations and areas.
- Assist laboratory staff with routine day-to-day tasks.
- Operate overhead crane, skid steer, or pallet jack for movement of samples and supplies (training will be provided)
- Observe established safety regulations and comply with all occupational, and laboratory safety procedures and requirements of SOPs.
- Other duties as required.
What We Offer
We are committed to ensuring that our team members are kept healthy and safe. To achieve this, we provide comfortable on-site accommodations with private washrooms, including excellent balanced meals prepared by our culinary team. Team members can expect access to TV and Wi-Fi, our on-site gym and a variety of recreational activities including a golf simulator, high-intensity fitness classes, yoga classes, seasonal snowshoeing, and hiking groups. You will also have access to a fully equipped music room while on site.
All our team members are also rewarded with a host of great benefits, including:
- Travel allowance and arrangements made for transportation to and from site
- Competitive hourly rate of $31.17 dependant on experience, skills, and qualifications
- Ongoing training with continuous growth and development opportunities
It is important to note that the safety and wellbeing of our team is our top priority. As such, we promote a drug and alcohol-free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug and alcohol testing.
Position requirements include, but are not limited to:
- Successful completion of High School (GED) combined with one (1) year of relevant work experience in a mining, industrial or analytical environment.
- Post-secondary studies in geology or related discipline are advantageous.
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills.
- Must be able to read English and follow work instructions in a safe, accurate and timely manner.
- Basic computer skills
- Familiar with handling and preparing routine mill, concentrate, and other high-grade samples is an asset.
- Previous sample preparation experience in a commercial lab is desired.
Our Commitment to You
At Newcrest, we hold core values that focus on caring about people, working together, and achieving a high-performance culture through innovation and problem solving.
Newcrest’s commitment to diversity and inclusion respects both the rights of every individual to work to their highest potential, free of discrimination, as well as the cultures, religions, and governing codes applicable to each country in which we operate.
If you share our values and feel that you could make a meaningful difference in this role, submit your application through our website before the advertised closing date.
IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR AN EXCITING NEW CHALLENGE, JOIN NEWCREST AND THE BRUCEJACK MINE TODAY!