Welcome to Newcrest!
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Safety Advisor to join the Brucejack Mine in Northwestern, British Columbia. This is a Temporary Full time Contract.
Newcrest is one of the world's largest gold mining companies. As a global business, we aim to create a diverse and inclusive environment where everyone feels safe, valued, and supported to bring their whole unique self to work.
We recognise that our different backgrounds and perspectives help us find better ways to: solve problems; attract and retain the best people; explore, develop, and produce more gold safely and profitably; and help make Newcrest a better place to work.
The role provides on-the-ground professional support in the reduction of workplace health and safety (H&S) risks, delivery of H&S programs, and support for line management implementation of the Brucejack Safety Management System to ensure sustainment of Newcrest H&S requirements, compliance with legislation and alignment with industry best practice.
- Partnering with operational leaders to support and provide advice on the proactive management of key H&S risks onsite
- Support implementation of and monitor conformance with site H&S management system and procedures.
- Facilitate, monitor and provide feedback on implementation of departmental/operational plans that address and improve the controls of H&S hazards.
- In consultation with operational staff, write and keep current procedures for safe work that meet legislative requirements and generally accepted industry standards.
- Support operational leaders to ensure the successful delivery and application of fundamental safety programs including:
- NewSafe, CCM &TBD
- Provide oversight of departmental Job Hazard Analysis to verify quality and content. Verify that all departmental safety risks have been identified and assessed with an associated Standard Operation Procedure or Job Hazard Analysis
- Make decisions and judgments on risk in consultation with superintendents, supervisors and workers, based on generally accepted industry standards, legislative requirements, safety knowledge and practice.
- Facilitate operational risk assessments on well-known hazards or tasks. Identify novel/complex hazards or activities that require detailed risk analysis and escalate to the Health & Safety Superintendent or health, wellness and hygiene professionals.
- Support and coach superintendents, supervisors and workers in the application of the Critical Control Management System. Conduct Field Level Critical Control Checks and assure the quality of FCCC and Operator Critical Control Checks.
- Provide coaching and mentoring to departments on incident investigation processes. Escalate support of investigation of novel incidents or significant incidents to the Health & Safety Superintendent.
- Participate in safety hazard and management system assurance activities to confirm that site safety requirements are in place and effective. Monitor and provide feedback on compliance with safety-critical procedures (e.g., confined space, permit to work).
- Use the data management systems (CHESS) for collecting information relevant to safety and analyse data to monitor safety performance and produce summary reports (e.g., department safety reports).
- Communicate, engage with and influence superintendents, supervisors and workers as a ‘trusted advisor’ to mitigate risk and optimize worker health and safety
What we offer:
All our team members are rewarded with a host of great benefits, including:
- Extended Health and Dental benefits and insurance for eligible employees
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience, skills, and qualifications
- Ongoing training with continuous growth and development opportunities
- Qualifications in Health, Safety, Emergency Management or a related discipline
- Minimum of three (3) years of leadership experience in an equivalent level site operational role at a large-scale operation mining operations or a similar H&S role in a related industry
- Knowledge and experience managing a broad range of activities including but not limited to social performance
- Experience in supporting operational teams to manage and improve H&S risks
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience working at a remote work site is considered an asset
Our commitment to you:
At Newcrest, we hold core values that focus on caring about people, working together, and achieving a high-performance culture through innovation and problem solving.
Newcrest’s commitment to diversity and inclusion respects both the rights of every individual to work to their highest potential, free of discrimination, as well as the cultures, religions, and governing codes applicable to each country in which we operate.
Newcrest promotes a drug and alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug and alcohol testing.
If you share our values and feel that you could make a meaningful difference in this role, submit your application online before the advertised application closing date.
IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR AN EXCITING NEW CHALLENGE, JOIN NEWCREST TODAY!