Operations Supervisor – Stewart, BC
Start your career here! When we hire an Operations Supervisor, we are looking for our future Division Manager.
Over 100 years in business, the Arrow Group of Companies has led the way in developing service focused transportation solutions by working with a broad range of customers, hauling a wider variety of products, and expanding our presence throughout Canada and the United States. Arrow is an industry leading transportation, distribution and materials handling organization.
The Stewart Mining Division primarily specializes in serving key customers by hauling Copper Ore from various minesites to the Port of Stewart to load onto vessels for furtherence to the end customer overseas. Approximately 45 professional truck drivers report into the Stewart Division and equipment is serviced by an onsite shop. You will be supported by a Division Manager, another Operations Supervisor, Administrator and Shop Foreman as well as the many Arrow employees that provide other support services across the company.
For more information visit Stewart Division Information
- We promote from within! A career with a growing organization backed by the stability of a company that has been in business since 1919!
- Compensation: $90,000 – $112,000/year
- Pension matching progam – 4% pension match is paid by Arrow.
- Company Truck, Fuel Card and Insurance are paid and provided for both personal and work use.
- Extended Medical benefits including dental, pharmaceutical, paramedical, life insurance, short and long term disability insurance, health spending account and more…..We offer a flex modular plan so you can choose the one that best suits you and your family!
- Ability to work in a dynamic and well supported environment
- Relocation assistance will be provided.
Under the direction of the Division Manager, the Operations Supervisor role is to assist in the planning, organization, coordination and implementation of short and long-term operational goals, policies and procedures. In particular, it is the Operations Supervisor’s role is to oversee and supervise the resources necessary (people and equipment) to meet customer commitments, maintenance commitments, while ensuring a safe, productive, compliant and cost efficient operation.
- Plans the effective and efficient development of schedules and makes necessary adjustments for road closures, overloads, lateness and related problems.
- Reviews gaps between actual and target key metrics (payload, speed, cycle time, fuel etc..) and discusses same with driver to commend positive or to correct negative driver behaviors.
- Plans, coordinates and oversees the routing and scheduling of daily trucking services and drivers and assures compliance with time schedules and applicable laws, codes, rules and regulations.
- Ensures the drivers have the proper instructions to perform their duties safely and listens to all driver concerns and acts on them appropriately.
- Ensures that schedules are carried out in an effective and efficient manner. Coordinates the daily assignment of company and contracted resources to maximize equipment productivity and payload while maintaining a high level of customer service.
- Oversees the daily operations of the dispatch office. Makes necessary adjustments for road closures, overloads, lateness and related problems. Communicates regularly with the drivers to assist and manage implications caused by truck problems, lateness and accidents. Communicates with the customer to report compliance to daily targets as well as course of action should deviation to plans occur.
- Recommend the assignment of yard crew should there be a short or long-term shortfall or if volume fluctuations require additional resources
- Oversees the assignment of spare drivers should there be a short or long-term shortfall of regular drivers.
- Communicates with the Primary customer to exchange information, coordinate activities and resolve issues, concerns and questions regarding trucking services, customer site and/or driver issues.
- Continuously surveys the existing trucking program for safety and cost improvement opportunities and advises the manager of ways to improve current systems.
- Schedules and coordinates required Driver training and orientation.
- Assists in the development, change to or implementation of policy and process improvement.
- Confers and coordinates with Shop personnel as well as drivers regarding repairs and preventative maintenance schedules and timelines.
- Responsible for collecting and reviewing driver paperwork and ensuring it is complete, accurate and timely.
- Trains, supervises, motivates and evaluates the performance of assigned staff and drivers. Is responsible for providing feedback and may be responsible for disciplinary action of assigned staff and drivers, up to and including written warning if required.
- Receives and responds to drivers accidents, drives to accident scenes and conducts internal accident investigations; gathers information, takes photos and assists drivers and staff; obtains accident reports from the highway patrol and police agencies.
- Receives verifies and assigns equipment and driver transfers.
- Maintains a variety of transportation personnel records including license and certificate expirations.
- Attends meetings, conferences, workshops, reads industry related journals and works with the Director of Safety to maintain current knowledge of and assist in the implementation of safety and transportation codes, regulations, laws and related matters.
- Other duties as assigned by the Division Manager.
- Minimum 3-5 years experience in a supervisory capacity.
- Preference will be given to those with Post Secondary Education and or experience working in a related field.
- Proven effective supervisory experience
- Strong safety proclivity/safety oriented
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Keen attention to detail
- Exceptional communication skills
- Computer proficiency – Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Suite and learning custom applications
- Quality Oriented
- Excellent Customer Service skills
- Mechanical ability or understanding a strong asset
Share on your newsfeed
Connect With Us!
Join Our Talent Network, you will be notified about new job opportunities that match your interests and skills, company news and events.