Welcome to Newcrest!
Newcrest is one of the world's largest gold mining companies. As a global business, we aim to create a diverse and inclusive environment where everyone feels safe, valued, and supported to bring their whole unique self to work.
We recognize that our different backgrounds and perspectives help us find better ways to: solve problems; attract and retain the best people; explore, develop, and produce more gold safely and profitably; and help make Newcrest a better place to work.
The Brucejack Mine is an operating underground gold and silver mine and is considered one of the highest-grade operating gold mines in the world. It is located 65 kilometers north of the town of Stewart in northern British Columbia.
We currently have an opportunity for a Miner 1 to join the Brucejack Mine in Northwestern, British Columbia.
The successful candidates will support the mine operations team to execute various tasks of the mine plan at the Brucejack Mine. They will participate in and progress through the miner training program established by the company. They will advance through the Mine Operations line of progression through successful completion of training and proven competency in mining tasks. As part of the role, they will be a safety leader and demonstrate the ability to ensure safety is at the forefront, when planning and executing tasks.
Perform the following duties, with safety being the number one priority:
- Demonstrate awareness and commitment to health, community, and environmental protection in keeping with Newcrest’s goals and objectives.
- Demonstrate commitment to adhere to all Mine site safety rules, procedures, and regulations, while ensuring the safety of others.
- Maintain a safe work environment through effective work area inspections, hazard identification and following safe work procedures for each task.
- Identify and remediate workplace hazards including housekeeping, ground support assessment, scaling and ensure all critical controls for the task are in place and effective.
- Safely operate a variety of underground mobile equipment such as, but not limited to, personnel carrier, telehandler, boom truck, scissor decks, skid steers, shotcrete equipment, scoops, trucks, and production drills.
- Conduct underground drilling, loading, and blasting in accordance with company procedures and provincial legislation.
- Train, support and develop newer miners in the workforce and act as a leader to assist with the progression of our underground team.
- Perform basic maintenance on operating equipment including pre-start checks, refuelling, lube fill and washing down.
- Complete underground construction activities including installation, modification, and repairs of underground infrastructures.
- Perform duties required to ensure safety and to support the mining advance such as scaling, ground support, extending services (installing air, ventilation, sump pumps and water pipes)
- Document reports detailing work performed, problems diagnosed, pre checks on all equipment and machinery used in the day and all other required shift paperwork.
- Immediately report problems/failures that may impact the team, or the company, to your Shift Supervisor.
- Maintain and demonstrate a professional and courteous relationship with employees, subcontractors, the client and all other personnel.
- Practice good general housekeeping in the work area and equipment.
- Performing related duties and activities as directed by the Underground Supervisor or designate.
What We Offer
We are committed to ensuring that our team members are kept healthy and safe. To achieve this, we provide comfortable on-site accommodations with private washrooms, including excellent balanced meals prepared by our culinary team. Team members can expect access to TV and Wi-Fi, our on-site gym and a variety of recreational activities including a golf simulator, high-intensity fitness classes, yoga classes, seasonal snowshoeing, and hiking groups. You will also have access to a fully equipped music room while on site.
All our team members are also rewarded with a host of great benefits, including:
- Travel allowance and arrangements made for transportation to and from site
- Competitive hourly rate of $57.88 dependant on experience, skills, and qualifications
- Ongoing training with continuous growth and development opportunities
It is important to note that the safety and wellbeing of our team is our top priority. As such, we promote a drug and alcohol-free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug and alcohol testing.
- Minimum 3 years experience working in an underground setting.
- Knowledgeable in underground mining practices and applicable BC regulations.
- BC Underground Blasting Certificate (Preferred).
- Experience operating a wide range of mining equipment.
- High School Diploma or equivalent educational and work experience
- Ability to work safe and promote safe behavior in others.
- Sets high standards for self and others, builds trust, and takes accountability.
- Previous experience working in trades and construction is an asset.
- Valid Class 5 driver’s license
- Strong communication, leadership, planning, time management organizational skills
- Detail oriented and adheres to workplace safety requirements and operating procedures.
- Ability to record and maintain daily records.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
Our Commitment to You
At Newcrest, we hold core values that focus on caring about people, working together, and achieving a high-performance culture through innovation and problem solving.
Newcrest’s commitment to diversity and inclusion respects both the rights of every individual to work to their highest potential, free of discrimination, as well as the cultures, religions, and governing codes applicable to each country in which we operate.
If you share our values and feel that you could make a meaningful difference in this role, submit your application through our website before the advertised closing date.
IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR AN EXCITING NEW CHALLENGE, JOIN NEWCREST AND THE BRUCEJACK MINE TODAY!