Welcome to Newmont!
Newmont has recently acquired Newcrest Mining creating the world’s leading gold mining company.
With operations around the world, our workforce reflects the diversity of the communities where we operate. We aim to create an inclusive environment where everyone feels safe, valued, and supported to bring their whole unique self to work. We bring out the best in each other, inspiring performance and a shared belief that what we do matters.
Please note this is an expression of interest and does not represent a live vacancy, candidates will only be contacted if a position becomes available.
Our Brucejack operation is now accepting expressions of interest for Miner and Miner Trainee positions. Candidates will support the mine operations team to execute various tasks of the mine plan at the Brucejack Mine. They will participate in and progress through the miner training program established by the company. They will advance through the Mine Operations line of progression through successful completion of training and proven competency in mining tasks. As part of the role, they will be a safety leader and demonstrate the ability to ensure safety is at the forefront, when planning and executing tasks.
As a miner trainee your primary responsibility is to support the mine operations team to execute various tasks of the mine plan at the Brucejack Mine. The miner trainee will participate in and progress through the miner training program established by the company. The miner trainee will advance through the Mine Operations line of progression through the successful completion of training and proven competency in mining tasks. The miner trainee will be a safety leader and demonstrate the ability to ensure safety is at the forefront when planning and executing tasks.
Successful candidates will perform the following duties, with safety being the number one priority:
- Demonstrate awareness and commitment to health, community, and environmental protection in keeping with Newcrest’s goals and objectives.
- Demonstrate commitment to adhere to all Mine site safety rules, procedures, and regulations, while ensuring the safety of others.
- Maintain a safe work environment through effective work area inspections, hazard identification and following safe work procedures for each task.
- Identify and remediate workplace hazards including housekeeping, ground support assessment, scaling and ensure all critical controls for the task are in place and effective.
- Safely operate a variety of underground mobile equipment such as, but not limited to, personnel carrier, telehandler, boom truck, scissor decks, skid steers, shotcrete equipment, scoops, trucks, and production drills.
- Conduct underground drilling, loading, and blasting in accordance with company procedures and provincial legislation.
- Train, support and develop newer miners in the workforce and act as a leader to assist with the progression of our underground team.
- Perform basic maintenance on operating equipment including pre-start checks, refuelling, lube fill and washing down.
- Complete underground construction activities including installation, modification, and repairs of underground infrastructures.
- Perform duties required to ensure safety and to support the mining advance such as scaling, ground support, extending services (installing air, ventilation, sump pumps and water pipes)
- Document reports detailing work performed, problems diagnosed, pre checks on all equipment and machinery used in the day and all other required shift paperwork.
- Immediately report problems/failures that may impact the team, or the company, to your Shift Supervisor.
- Maintain and demonstrate a professional and courteous relationship with employees, subcontractors, the client and all other personnel.
- Practice good general housekeeping in the work area and equipment.
- Performing related duties and activities as directed by the Underground Supervisor or designate.
What We Offer
We are committed to ensuring that our team members are kept healthy and safe. To achieve this, we provide comfortable on-site accommodations with private washrooms, including excellent balanced meals prepared by our culinary team. Team members can expect access to TV and Wi-Fi, our on-site gym and a variety of recreational activities including a golf simulator, high-intensity fitness classes, yoga classes, seasonal snowshoeing, and hiking groups. You will also have access to a fully equipped music room while on site.
All our team members are also rewarded with a host of great benefits, including:
- Travel allowance and arrangements made for transportation to and from site
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience, skills, and qualifications
- Competitive Benefits and Registered Retirement Savings Plan matching program
- Ongoing training with continuous growth and development opportunities
It is important to note that the safety and wellbeing of our team is our top priority. As such, we promote a drug and alcohol-free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug and alcohol testing.
Position requirements include, but are not limited to:
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Prior experience working in an underground setting an asset dependant on the role.
- Ability to work safe and promote safe behavior in others.
- Experience operating heavy equipment preferred.
- Sets high standards for self and others, builds trust, and takes accountability.
- Previous experience working in trades and construction is an asset.
- Knowledgeable in underground mining practices and applicable regulations.
- Valid Class 5 driver’s license
- Experience in mining, mineral processing and construction activities.
- Strong communication, leadership, planning, time management organizational skills
- Detail oriented and adheres to workplace safety requirements and operating procedures
- Ability to record and maintain daily records
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Positive attitude and enjoys being a proactive member of a high performing team.
- Cross cultural awareness of the differences in cultural and economic backgrounds
Our Commitment to You
Newmont is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Underpinned by our values of Safety, Sustainability, Integrity, Responsibility and Inclusion, our commitment is to respect the rights of every individual to work to their highest potential, free of discrimination, as well as the cultures, religions, and governing codes applicable to each country in which we operate.
If you share our values and feel that you could make a meaningful difference in this role, submit your application through our website before the advertised closing date: https://secure.dc2.pageuppeople.com/apply/373/gateway/Default.aspx?c=apply&sJobIDs=985830&SourceTypeID=1175&sLanguage=en&lApplicationSubSourceID=17444