Welcome to Newcrest!
Newcrest is one of the world's largest gold mining companies. As a global business, we aim to create a diverse and inclusive environment where everyone feels safe, valued, and supported to bring their whole unique self to work.
We recognize that our different backgrounds and perspectives help us find better ways to: solve problems; attract and retain the best people; explore, develop, and produce more gold safely and profitably; and help make Newcrest a better place to work.
The Brucejack Mine is an operating underground gold and silver mine and is considered one of the highest-grade operating gold mines in the world. It is located 65 kilometers north of the town of Stewart in northern British Columbia.
We currently have an opportunity for a Millwright to join the Brucejack Mine in Northwestern, British Columbia. The Millwright will work within the mill maintenance department and primarily report to the Mill Maintenance Supervisor or his designates.
This position ensures all maintenance activities common to a mining and milling operation, building, construction and site operation(s) are maintained in safe and working order through scheduled and routine maintenance and assessment of wear on major equipment components.
Perform the following duties with safety being the number one priority:
- Monitor condition of rotating machinery utilizing parameters including vibration, temperature, pressures, flows and currents.
- Must be able to take field vibration readings and understand basic data.
- Understand and assess the daily operation of various types of equipment including centrifuges, reciprocating and centrifugal compressors, conveyors, screw feeders, mills, conveyers, crushers, blowers and pumps.
- Based on assessment, provide recommendations to improve reliability
- Maintain equipment to design specifications including, but not limited to, centrifugal pumps, reciprocating pumps & compressors, fans, gear reducers/increasers & other mechanical equipment (valves, operators, testing tools)
- Replace pump seals, mechanical seals, pump packing.
- Provide proper alignment for all rotating equipment.
- Perform preventative/predictive maintenance and troubleshoot problems.
- Determine material needs, sequence of operations, and job methods including the use of a computer for storing and using information for preventive/predictive maintenance.
- Maintain familiarity with warehouse parts management, design specifications, and applicable maintenance procedures.
- Keep maintenance records.
- Instruct apprentices.
- Read blueprints, schematics and drawings.
What we offer:
We are committed to ensuring that our team members are kept healthy and safe. To achieve this, we provide comfortable on-site accommodations with private washrooms, including excellent balanced meals prepared by our culinary team. Team members can expect access to TV and Wi-Fi, our on-site gym and a variety of recreational activities including a golf simulator, high-intensity fitness classes, yoga classes, seasonal snowshoeing, and hiking groups. You will also have access to a fully equipped music room while on site.
All our team members are also rewarded with a host of great benefits, including:
- Travel allowance and arrangements made for transportation to and from site
- Competitive hourly rate of $57.88 depending on experience, skills, and qualifications
- Ongoing training with continuous growth and development opportunities
It is important to note that the safety and wellbeing of our team is our top priority. As such, we promote a drug and alcohol-free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug and alcohol testing.
- Trade qualification as an Interprovincial Journeyman Millwright (Red Seal) certification
- A minimum of 3 years mechanical experience in millwright activities in an industrial environment
- Read blueprints, diagrams and schematic drawings to determine work procedures.
- Install, align, repair industrial machinery and mechanical equipment, such as pumps, fans, tanks, conveyors, furnaces and generators using hand and power tools.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Operate hoisting and lifting devices such as cranes, forklifts and man lifts to position machinery and parts repair of machinery.
- Inspect and examine machinery and equipment to detect and investigate irregularities and malfunctions.
- Must be able to do welding repairs and fabrication tasks as well as cutting and lancing operations.
- Install, troubleshoot and maintain vacuum, hydraulic and pneumatic systems, and programmable logic controls.
- Adjust machinery and repair or replace defective parts.
- Operate machine tools such as lathes and grinders to fabricate parts required during overhaul, maintenance or set-up of machinery.
- Clean, lubricate and perform other routine maintenance work on machinery.
- Ability to read, speak, and write English.
- High proficiency in Microsoft applications
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to work as part of a team.
- Physical requirements – Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs., climb ladders and stairs, walking, bending, stooping.
- Must be able to wear personal protective equipment including the use of a respirator.
- Must be able to respond to visual and audible alarms.
- Work at remote location (camp) on 13 days on, 13 days off and 2 travel days
- Be able maintain high levels of performance over 12-hour shifts.
- Must be comfortable in an underground setting.
- Able to work in areas of extreme weather conditions.
- Good working knowledge of SAP is an asset.
Our Commitment to You
At Newcrest, we hold core values that focus on caring about people, working together, and achieving a high-performance culture through innovation and problem solving.
Newcrest’s commitment to diversity and inclusion respects both the rights of every individual to work to their highest potential, free of discrimination, as well as the cultures, religions, and governing codes applicable to each country in which we operate.
If you share our values and feel that you could make a meaningful difference in this role, submit your application through our website before the advertised closing date.
IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR AN EXCITING NEW CHALLENGE, JOIN NEWCREST AND THE BRUCEJACK MINE TODAY!