Welcome to Newmont!
Newmont has recently acquired Newcrest Mining creating the world’s leading gold mining company.
With operations around the world, our workforce reflects the diversity of the communities where we operate. We aim to create an inclusive environment where everyone feels safe, valued, and supported to bring their whole unique self to work. We bring out the best in each other, inspiring performance, and a shared belief that what we do matters.
Our Brucejack operation is now recruiting for a temporary Metallurgical Co-op Student with a competitive base salary of $52,000 – $60,000 dependent on experience, skills, and competencies with consideration to internal equity.
The Metallurgical Co-op Student’s primary responsibility is to perform routine sampling, metallurgical lab test work and data entry/analysis in support of mill operations and the Metallurgical Team.
Perform following duties, with safety being the number one priority:
- Operate and maintain laboratory processing equipment as well as conduct analysis and
experimental procedures as directed.
- Conduct plant surveys & sampling in accordance with the established standard operating.
procedure under the direction of Metallurgist & Sr. Metallurgist
- Conduct laboratory tests including but not limited to, grinding tests, gravity concentration using the Knelson Concentrator, flotation, screening & solid/liquid separation tests, solution analysis,
paste plant and bond work index testing.
- Conducting specific metallurgical examinations and tests according to detailed procedures
- Assist with the preparation of daily, weekly and monthly production reports.
- Assist with metallurgical experiments, collects data and tabulates/documents results.
- Ensures all work is carried out in accordance with workplace health and safety policies and regulations.
- Assist with preparing Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for all metallurgical and mill operations.
- Work closely with the Metallurgical Technician, Metallurgist & Senior Metallurgist to develop processing concepts that optimize recovery and operating costs.
- Work closely with operations to troubleshoot mill, water treatment plant and paste plant operations, including scheduling daily steel charge requirements.
- Track mill reagents and consumables
- Liaise with the mill operations, maintenance department, environmental department, safety department and assay lab.
- Cover metallurgical technician and metallurgists’ tasks as required.
- Other duties as required.
What We Offer
We are committed to ensuring that our team members are kept healthy and safe. To achieve this, we provide comfortable on-site accommodations with private washrooms, including excellent balanced meals prepared by our culinary team. Team members can expect access to TV and Wi-Fi, our on-site gym and a variety of recreational activities including a golf simulator, high-intensity fitness classes, yoga classes, seasonal snowshoeing, and hiking groups. You will also have access to a fully equipped music room while on site.
All our team members are also rewarded with a host of great benefits, including:
- Travel allowance and arrangements made for transportation to and from site.
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience, skills, and qualifications
- Ongoing training with continuous growth and development opportunities
It is important to note that the safety and wellbeing of our team is our top priority. As such, we promote a drug and alcohol-free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug and alcohol testing.
Position requirements include, but are not limited to:
- Student in Mining (Mineral Processing) Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or Materials Engineering is required.
- Knowledge of mineral processing and extraction
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to liaise effectively with management teams and deal with complex problems.
- Highly effective organizational, time management and analytical skills
- Working knowledge of Canadian Federal and Provincial mining & safety legislation and regulations is a benefit.
- Strong skillset in Microsoft office including Access is preferred.
- Must have valid class 5 driver's license.
- Work at remote location (camp) on 13 days on, 13 days off, 2 travel days schedule.
- Must be able to lift/move up to 50lbs throughout a work shift.
- Be able maintain high levels of performance over 12-hour shifts.
- Be able to work in areas of extreme weather conditions.
- Be able to work in close quarters with the team.
Our Commitment to You
Newmont is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Underpinned by our values of Safety, Sustainability, Integrity, Responsibility and Inclusion, our commitment is to respect the rights of every individual to work to their highest potential, free of discrimination, as well as the cultures, religions, and governing codes applicable to each country in which we operate.
If you share our values and feel that you could make a meaningful difference in this role, submit your application through our website before the advertised closing date.