Newmont has recently acquired Newcrest Mining creating the world’s leading gold mining company.
With operations around the world, our workforce reflects the diversity of the communities where we operate. We aim to create an inclusive environment where everyone feels safe, valued, and supported to bring their whole unique self to work. We bring out the best in each other, inspiring performance and a shared belief that what we do matters.
Our Red Chris mine is located on the traditional territory of the Tahltan and we encourage qualified applicants from the local communities to apply. We offer several designated marshalling points within BC including Nanaimo, Vancouver, Kelowna, Kamloops, Prince George, Smithers, and Calgary, AB.
Our Red Chris operation is now recruiting for the position of Journeyperson Heavy Duty Mechanic with a competitive hourly rate of $53.02.
Purpose of the Role
To support the Site Maintenance and Services department team to complete a variety of maintenance projects around site and in camp.
We are seeking an individual for a Fly In, Fly Out opportunity working on a two weeks in, two weeks out rotation.
Position requirements include, but are not limited to:
- Reporting to the Site Maintenance Supervisor, responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Strong commitment and adherence to all Safety Policies and Procedures
- Maintenance and preventative maintenance of production, service and support equipment
- Diagnose and complete repairs on all company mobile equipment
- Demonstrate continuous effort to improve operations, decrease repair times and streamline work processes
- Use of computer to input work orders, parts, lists, pick tickets, equipment information, troubleshooting feedback and shift turnover notes
- The mentorship and training of apprentices and PM Servicemen
- Assist with other maintenance activities as required
- Demonstrate continuous improvement to enhance operations, decrease turnaround times, and streamline work processes.
- The mentorship and training of apprentices.
- Input timesheets, material information, equipment information and work orders electronically via SAP.
- Practice workplace safety.
- Other duties as required.
Qualification, Knowledge, and Experience
- Journeyperson Heavy Duty Mechanic Interprovincial Red Seal Certification
- Valid Class 5 driver’s license required, Class 1 with air brakes endorsement preferred
- Minimum of 2-5 years’ related experience required
- Maintenance repair experience with various generators, pump systems and light plants preferred
- Trades related experience and knowledge of CAT, Hitachi, John Deere and Cummins service programs are preferred
- Team leader, lead hand and/or supervisory experience will increase candidate ranking
- Grade 12 diploma or equivalent preferred
- Candidates to provide information re: Safety Program related training & experience, Equipment specific training and skills plus other trades related tickets and certificates
- Ability to perform tasks that require strength and stamina in extreme weather conditions
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision once familiar with requirements
- A team player that works well with others
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to use Microsoft Office and MS Outlook preferred, SAP experience a distinct asset
- Ability to mentor and train apprentices
What We Offer
We are committed to ensuring that our team members are kept healthy and safe. To achieve this, we provide comfortable on-site accommodations, including excellent balanced meals prepared by our culinary team. Team members can expect access to TV and Wi-Fi, our on-site gym and a variety of recreational activities.
All our team members are also rewarded with a host of great benefits, including:
- Travel allowance and arrangements made for transportation to and from site
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience, skills, and qualifications
- Competitive Benefits and Registered Retirement Savings Plan matching program
- Ongoing training with continuous growth and development opportunities
It is important to note that the safety and wellbeing of our team is our top priority. As such, we promote a drug and alcohol-free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug and alcohol testing.
Our Commitment to You
Newmont is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Underpinned by our values of Safety, Sustainability, Integrity, Responsibility and Inclusion, our commitment is to respect the rights of every individual to work to their highest potential, free of discrimination, as well as the cultures, religions, and governing codes applicable to each country in which we operate.
If you share our values and feel that you could make a meaningful difference in this role, submit your application through our website before the advertised closing date.
As per the Collective Agreement all position within the agreement must be posted as per Article.18.01 (a) Job vacancies will first be awarded to the senior qualified employee within the department, through an expression of interest process. (b) Vacancies will remain posted for a period of fourteen (14) calendar days. Postings may exceed fourteen (14) calendar days or be re-posted if successful candidates are not found.