Explore the unknown:
Newcrest is one of the world's largest gold mining companies. As a global business, we aim to create a diverse and inclusive environment where everyone feels safe, valued, and supported to bring their whole unique self to work.
We recognise that our different backgrounds and perspectives help us find better ways to: solve problems; attract and retain the best people; explore, develop, and produce more gold safely and profitably; and help make Newcrest a better place to work.
Our Red Chris mine is located on the traditional territory of the Tahltan and we encourage qualified applicants from the local communities to apply. We offer several designated marshalling points within BC including Nanaimo, Vancouver, Kelowna, Kamloops, Williams Lake, Prince George, Smithers, and Calgary, AB.
The core purpose of this role is to:
Ensure safe, reliable and effective operation & maintenance of Electrical devices and systems in an industrial environment while conducting preventative and corrective maintenance, installation/removal of field electrical devices and systems. Provide electrical support to maintenance, production & engineering teams and electrical support for open pit mining equipment (PC7000 and P&H 2800). The Role can involve electrical infrastructure work, which includes new construction work, and additions and repairs to existing infrastructure. This role will support Asset Management Best Practices and have the ability to identify minor improvement projects while adhering to the site electrical engineering standards
We are seeking an individual for a Fly In, Fly Out opportunity working on a two weeks in, two weeks out rotation.
- Utilise domain knowledge to assist in Root Cause Analysis, process improvement and post incident investigations
- Extensive, proven expertise with installation of electrical infrastructure, Code and Standards requirements, including a significant working knowledge of the CSA Standard, Use of Electricity in Mines (i.e., M421)
- Make sure statutory systems are maintained, audited and treated according to the relevant legislation.
- Ensure compliance with change management procedures with bridge logs and registers kept up to date and audited regularly;
- Proven ability to scope and sequence electrical jobs including development of the BOM, procurement in SAP, coordination with other staff, and execution of the work under the direction of supervision and the approved schedule, or independently as appropriate.
- Familiarity of QA/QC processes and documentation
- Supervise execution of routine preventative maintenance, checks, and audits.
- Provide technical support, guidance and coaching to site personnel on best practice and technical matters related to electrical systems and installations in an open pit mining environment.
- Conduct performance evaluations to identify operational limitations and initiate steps to enhance system performance;
- Maintain and utilize Preventative maintenance planning techniques
- Propose, prepare and submit regular feedback on work orders resulting from maintenance activities in an effort to improve maintenance plans, records and task lists.
- Maintain accurate documentation, drawings, change maintenance etc.
- Ensure critical spares are available to maintain continuous operations
- Assist in authoring and review of electrical maintenance procedures
- Project management of minor capital projects;
- Work closely with maintenance, production & engineering teams to achieve common goals
- Identify & execute minor improvement projects
- Ensure work is in compliance with company HSE policies and procedures, quality, schedule, budget, security, industry standards and best practices.
- Demonstrate continuous improvement to enhance operations, decrease turnaround times, and streamline work processes
- Provide technical expertise and mentorship to Instrumentation, Control Technicians and apprentices.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Electrical Red Seal Journeyperson Trade Certificate
- 5 years’ experience in a heavy industrial environment such as open pit/UG mining;
- Electrical Construction Experience is essential
- Significant experience in SAP or a proven ability to quickly learn software applications
- Electrical systems in an open pit mining environment
- M421 Use of Electricity in Mines
- Canadian Electrical Code
- Provide quality, detail-oriented safety driven results
- Ability to read and understand electrical three-line and single line diagrams is essential
- Experience mentoring of personnel including apprentices; Good interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organization and planning skills.
- Proactivity and ability to work independently.
- Ability to identify, analyse and resolve upset conditions on heavy electrical equipment and infrastructure
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Computer literate and advanced skills in the Microsoft Office programs (Excel, Word, MS Project, PowerPoint, Outlook, SAP)
- Valid driver’s license.
Our commitment to you:
At Newcrest, we hold core values that focus on caring about people, working together, and achieving a high-performance culture through innovation and problem solving.
Newcrest’s commitment to diversity and inclusion respects both the rights of every individual to work to their highest potential, free of discrimination, as well as the cultures, religions, and governing codes applicable to each country in which we operate.
If you share our values and feel that you could make a meaningful difference in this role, please apply online before the advertised application closing date.