Welcome to Newcrest!
Newcrest is one of the world's largest gold mining companies. As a global business, we aim to create a diverse and inclusive environment where everyone feels safe, valued, and supported to bring their whole unique self to work.
We recognise that our different backgrounds and perspectives help us find better ways to: solve problems; attract and retain the best people; explore, develop, and produce more gold safely and profitably; and help make Newcrest a better place to work.
Following the recent acquisition of Pretivm, Newcrest now own and operate the Brucejack Mine located 65 kilometers north of the town of Stewart in northern British Columbia.
The Brucejack underground mine is one of the largest and highest-grade gold mines globally and as of January 1, 2021 has proven and probable mineral reserves of 3.9 million ounces of gold (14.4 million tonnes grading 8.3 grams per tonne gold) with a mine life of 12 years.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Journeyman Welder to join our Surface Maintenance team located at the Brucejack Mine.
The purpose of a Journeyman Welder Fabricator is to support Surface Maintenance activities at the mine and ensure that all assigned work meets the quality control requirements in accordance with Pretivm permits, policies, standards and environmental requirements.
The position also ensures compliance with all Health & Safety and other relevant policies and regulations.
Perform following duties, with safety being the number one priority:
- Perform advanced welding and fabricating skills
- Operate manual or semi-automatic flame-cutting equipment
- Operate Oxy acetylene torches and plasma cutting tools
- Read and interpret blueprints or welding process specifications
- Operate manual or semi-automatic welding equipment to fuse metal segments using processes such as gas tungsten arc welding (GTAW), gas metal arc welding (GMAW), flux-cored arc welding (FCAW), shielded metal arc welding (SMAW), oxy-acetylene welding (OAW)
- Must be able to wear personal protective equipment including specialty PPE as well (respirator, ventilated welding mask and other as required)
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to work as part of a team
- Operate hoisting and lifting devices such as cranes, fork lifts and man lifts to position machinery and parts repair of machinery
- Perform other related duties as required.
What we offer:
We are committed to ensuring that our team members are kept healthy and safe. To achieve this, we provide comfortable camp accommodations, as well as balanced meals prepared by our culinary team.
Team members can expect access to TV and Wi-Fi, our on-site gym, and a variety of recreational activities.
All our team members are also rewarded with a host of great benefits, including:
- Travel allowance and arrangements made for transportation to and from site
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience, skills, and qualifications
- Ongoing training with continuous growth and development opportunities
It is important to note that the safety and wellbeing of our team is our top priority. As such, we promote a drug and alcohol-free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug and alcohol testing.
- Welding A Level Interprovincial (Red Seal) endorsement
- Five years of certification in the welding trade and field
- Valid Class 5 driver’s license with clean driving abstract
- Heavy equipment welding repair experience
- Ground engaging equipment repair rebuild experience
- CWB certification is an asset but not required
- Line bore experience but not required
- Previous experience in plate work and fabrication
- Read blueprints, diagrams and schematic drawings to determine work procedures
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Actively involved in developing SWPs (safe work procedures)
- Work at remote location (camp) on a 13 day on/13 day off rotation
- Ability to work to the highest safety standards and follow safety policies and procedures
- Able to pass a pre-employment medical screening
- Underground work maybe required
- Must be able to lift/move up to 50lbs throughout a work shift
- Be able maintain high levels of performance over 12-hour shifts
- The ability to work in areas of extreme weather conditions
- The ability to work in close team environment with the Mobile Maintenance team.
Our commitment to you:
At Newcrest, we hold core values that focus on caring about people, working together, and achieving a high-performance culture through innovation and problem solving.
Newcrest’s commitment to diversity and inclusion respects both the rights of every individual to work to their highest potential, free of discrimination, as well as the cultures, religions, and governing codes applicable to each country in which we operate.
Newcrest promotes a drug and alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug and alcohol testing.
If you share our values and feel that you could make a meaningful difference in this role, submit your application online before the advertised application closing date.
IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR AN EXCITING NEW CHALLENGE, JOIN NEWCREST AND THE BRUCEJACK MINE TODAY!