Welcome to Newcrest!
Newcrest is one of the world's largest gold mining companies. As a global business, we aim to create a diverse and inclusive environment where everyone feels safe, valued, and supported to bring their whole unique self to work.
We recognise that our different backgrounds and perspectives help us find better ways to: solve problems; attract and retain the best people; explore, develop, and produce more gold safely and profitably; and help make Newcrest a better place to work.
Following the recent acquisition of Pretivm, Newcrest now own and operate the Brucejack Mine located 65 kilometers north of the town of Stewart in northern British Columbia.
The Brucejack underground mine is one of the largest and highest-grade gold mines globally and as of January 1, 2021 has proven and probable mineral reserves of 3.9 million ounces of gold (14.4 million tonnes grading 8.3 grams per tonne gold) with a mine life of 12 years.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Industrial Hygiene Technician to join the Brucejack Mine in Northwestern, British Columbia.
This position is located within the Health & Safety Department and primary reports is to the Health & Safety Superintendent or, alternatively, to the Health & Safety Manager’s designate(s).
We recognize occupational health and safety as the highest priority during all stages of our activities. We are committed to the well-being of our employees, contractors, visitors and all other stakeholders by creating and maintaining a safe working environment and positive safety culture.
We share a commitment to a safe and healthy workplace, which requires that each employee and contractor take individual responsibility for safety – for themselves and their coworkers. Safety and health policies and practices are actively supported by management and accountability measures for safety and health performance exists at all levels of management.
The primary purpose of the position is to assist in the development, implementation, monitoring and continuous improvement of the sites Occupational Health and Safety System, with the primary focus on Occupational Health & Hygiene. The Industrial Hygiene Safety Advisor provides the necessary H&S support and advice to Managers, Supervisors, Employees and Contractors, that will drive the safety culture of the mine site towards zero injuries.
Accountable for performing the following duties with safety being the number one priority,
- Co-ordinate and carry out sampling campaigns, potentially including, but not limited to: crystalline silica, diesel particulate matter, lead, noise, thermal stress and welding fumes.
- Conducts workplace assessments to identify and control risk of occupational health and hygiene issues.
- Conduct vibration and ergonomic assessments.
- Completes detailed IH technical reports to provide recommendations for appropriate controls or corrective action.
- Delivers training to site personnel as required in areas of occupation health and hygiene safety.
- Ensures all Occupational Health and Industrial Hygiene equipment is maintained as per manufactures recommendations.
- Provide support to management, department staff and various site contractors and vendors in the interpretation and application of H&S rules, regulations and legislation.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of and adheres to all applicable legislation, standards and guidelines.
- Other responsibilities to support the safe, productive operations of the Brucejack Mine.
What we offer:
We are committed to ensuring that our team members are kept healthy and safe. To achieve this, we provide comfortable camp accommodations, as well as balanced meals prepared by our culinary team.
Team members can expect access to TV and Wi-Fi, our on-site gym, and a variety of recreational activities.
All our team members are also rewarded with a host of great benefits, including:
- Travel allowance and arrangements made for transportation to and from site.
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience, skills, and qualifications
- Ongoing training with continuous growth and development opportunities
It is important to note that the safety and wellbeing of our team is our top priority. As such, we promote a drug and alcohol-free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug and alcohol testing.
Position requirements include, but are not limited to:
- Undergraduate degree or technical diploma in applicable field (Industrial Hygiene OR Bachelor of Science degree (acceptable equivalent training/experience will be considered)).
- Minimum of two years of work experience in Industrial Hygiene (equivalent combination of education and work experience will be considered).
- Experience in industrial hygiene monitoring methods, assessments (including: chemicals, noise, heat stress, lighting, ventilations systems, ergonomics), and abatement/remediation activities
- Extensive experience writing reports, technical and non-technical reports.
- Quantitative fit testing of respiratory protection equipment.
- Knowledge of applicable regulations.
- Exceptional computer skills
- Work at remote location (camp) on 13 days on, 12 days off schedule
- Able to pass a pre-employment medical screening.
- Must be able to lift/move up to 50lbs throughout a work shift.
- Be able maintain high levels of performance over 12-hour shifts.
- Able to work in areas of extreme weather conditions.
- Able to work in close quarters with the team.
- Newcrest promotes a drug and alcohol-free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug and alcohol testing.
Our commitment to you:
At Newcrest, we hold core values that focus on caring about people, working together, and achieving a high-performance culture through innovation and problem solving.
Newcrest’s commitment to diversity and inclusion respects both the rights of every individual to work to their highest potential, free of discrimination, as well as the cultures, religions, and governing codes applicable to each country in which we operate.
Newcrest promotes a drug and alcohol-free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug and alcohol testing.
If you share our values and feel that you could make a meaningful difference in this role, submit your application online before the advertised application closing date.
IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR AN EXCITING NEW CHALLENGE, JOIN NEWCREST AND THE BRUCEJACK MINE TODAY