Coeur Mining, Inc. is a well-diversified growing precious metals producer with five operations in North America. Coeur’s wholly-owned operations include the Palmarejo silver-gold complex in Mexico, the Silvertip silver-zinc-lead mine in British Columbia, the Rochester silver-gold mine in Nevada, the Kensington gold mine in Alaska, and the Wharf gold mine in South Dakota. In addition, the Company owns the La Preciosa project in Mexico, a silver-gold exploration stage project. Coeur also conducts numerous exploration activities in North and South America. Coeur’s headquarters are located in Chicago, IL.
The Coeur Silvertip mine located in British Columbia, just 10 miles south of the Yukon border is seeking a Health & Safety Supervisor to work in a camp-based environment rotating on a two week in/two week out shift rotation.
If you are motivated by unique challenges, change, working in a remote location and work-life balance with the flexibility of a rotational schedule, this opportunity is for you!
The Health, Safety & Training Supervisor within the Health & Safety Department reporting to the General Manager.
- Lead, promote and actively engage site personnel to build and maintain a culture of health and safety and accountability;
- Provide technical advice, coaching, guidance, and mentoring to all site personnel on health and safety initiatives;
- Identify, develop, and communicate best practices and lead continuous improvement initiatives to reduce work process risks and raise health and safety awareness;
- Conduct and lead risk assessments to identify and control exposures to workplace hazards;
- Lead the investigation of all accidents, near-miss incidents, and occupational injuries, and tracking implementation of preventive/corrective measures as required;
- Manage workers compensation injuries and return-to-work activities;
- Build relationships with health and safety regulators and participate in regulatory health and safety inspections;
- Manage all industrial hygiene sampling activities and related programs and processes;
- Responsible for the oversight and direction of the onsite medical clinic and associated Medics;
- Manage the security services when applicable, including developing and implementing site security strategies;
- Maintain records of safety performance and regularly report results and trends to Company management;
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of all safety policies and procedures and site rules pertaining to a Northern BC underground mining and ore processing operation;
- Working with Health and Safety personnel to ensure compliance by all management, supervisors, and employees with British Columbia regulatory requirements as they relate to the safe and healthy operation of the mine site;
- Responsible for development and delivery of health and safety related training programs, as required by regulatory agencies and Company policies;
- Perform ongoing inspections and risk assessments to identify and address unsafe conditions or hazards in the workplace;
- Ensure all aspects of health and safety policies are incorporated into operational and maintenance processes;
- Work with contractor supervision on site to ensure compliance with all Coeur Silvertip health and safety policies, procedures rules as they relate to health and safety;
- Ensure that an effective health and safety orientation process is in place and being presented to all new employees and visitors to the site;
- Provide safety training material to supervisory personal to assist them in departmental safety and health meetings and tool-box sessions;
- Ensure all required records pertaining to the health and safety of all employees are properly maintained in accordance with privacy and data retention regulations;
- Participate or ensure participation of appropriate employees in;
- Occupational Health and Safety Committee
- Mine Rescue teams
- SOP development meetings
- Daily management meetings
- Coach and develop direct reports to ensure compliance with all applicable statutory codes;
- Responsible for assisting in evaluating risk exposure as a loss prevention measure;
- Perform other duties as assigned/required.
- Bachelor’s degree in health and safety or equivalent;
- Registration or eligibility for registration as a Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP)
- 10-15 years of health and safety experience within mining, oil and gas, chemicals or heavy industry;
- Three (3) years Mine Rescue Coordinator or Captain / Vice Captain;
- Experience in and certification for either underground or surface rescue and firefighting;
- Occupational First Aid Level 3 or current similar level emergency medical response certification;
- Demonstrated leadership and supervision experience;
- Demonstrated high level understanding of key safety principles in the mining industry;
- Experience with behavior-based safety (BBS) programs preferred;
- Strong communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills;
- Work effectively and respond quickly to identify critical situations and activities;
- Ability to teach, mentor and motivate others;
- Experience with root cause analysis methodologies;
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office 365 suite of applications;
- Valid driver’s license.
- Ability to work with a diverse cross-cultural workforce.
At Coeur, we PROTECT our people, places, and planet, DEVELOP quality resources, growth, and plans, and DELIVER impactful results through teamwork. To become a part of our team and to work together to tackle challenges head-on apply www.coeur.com/company/careers for this position.