Welcome to Newcrest!
Newcrest is one of the world's largest gold mining companies. As a global business, we aim to create a diverse and inclusive environment where everyone feels safe, valued, and supported to bring their whole unique self to work.
We recognise that our different backgrounds and perspectives help us find better ways to: solve problems; attract and retain the best people; explore, develop, and produce more gold safely and profitably; and help make Newcrest a better place to work.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Geology Co-Op Technical Student, to join the Brucejack Mine in Northwestern, British Columbia. This is Temporary Full Time Contract.
The Geology Co-Op Technical Student’s position is intended to integrate one’s academic education with experiential learning through a relevant, monitored, term-specific, paid work opportunity. Its primary responsibility is to support the geology team in all aspects of geological work programs at the Brucejack mine to optimize the extraction of mineable reserves. The specific focus of this position, while under supervision, is on collecting, tracking, processing, and interpretation of all geological data.
You will be required to perform the following duties, under supervision by qualified personnel, with safety being the number one priority:
- Understand and ensure compliance with Newcrest safety policies and governmental safety regulations including Ministry of Mines and WorkSafeBC
- Collect, document, and assess geological data, which includes veining, mineralization, lithology, alteration, structure, and assays
- Assist in conducting underground geological mapping, stope and development muckpile inspections, and stockpile inventories to ensure effective grade control and aid in monthly reporting
- Learn to interpret geological structures and ore along strike and between development and levels
- Generate geological plan maps, cross-sections, and reports for distribution to relevant personnel.
- Assist in the planning, tracking, and interpretation of diamond and reverse circulation drilling
- Data input tracking and reporting of daily production ore movement and other key production data, assist in the generation of mucking plans, and help track plan compliance
- Assist with basic analysis, as assigned, and contribute to the collaborative dissemination of data required for short- and long-term planning
- Provide feedback and help identify opportunities to optimize ore extraction and limit dilution
- Liaise with Exploration and Resource Geology departments to gain exposure to different strategies and tactics and promote a better overall understanding of mineralization at Brucejack
- Under supervision assist with reviewing and editing Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for all geology-related tasks to gain an appreciation of the importance of Safety
- Participate in presentations and the sharing of knowledge with the goal of encouraging departmental technical excellence
- Demonstrate awareness and commitment to health, community, and environmental protection in keeping with Newcrest’s goals and objectives
- Perform other related duties as required
What we offer:
We are committed to ensuring that our team members are kept healthy and safe. To achieve this, we provide comfortable camp accommodations, as well as balanced meals prepared by our culinary team.
Team members can expect access to TV and Wi-Fi, our on-site gym, and a variety of recreational activities.
All our team members are also rewarded with a host of great benefits, including:
- Travel allowance and arrangements made for transportation to and from site
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience, skills, and qualifications
- Ongoing training with continuous growth and development opportunities
It is important to note that the safety and wellbeing of our team is our top priority. As such, we promote a drug and alcohol-free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug and alcohol testing.
Enrollment in an accredited Canadian undergraduate degree/diploma program in geology or geological engineering with preference given to candidates registered in a recognized co-op program. Any previous underground mine experience will be considered an asset.
- Strong communication, planning, time management, and organizational skills
- Competency with advanced computer & productivity software packages (i.e., Vulcan, Leapfrog, Excel, Word, MapInfo, etc.)
- Knowledge of workplace safety requirements and procedures
- Ability to record and maintain daily records
- Analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Cross cultural awareness of the differences in cultural and economic backgrounds
If you share our values and feel that you could make a meaningful difference in this role, submit your application online before the advertised application closing date.
IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR AN EXCITING NEW CHALLENGE, JOIN NEWCREST TODAY!