Welcome to Newcrest!
Newcrest is one of the world's largest gold mining companies. As a global business, we aim to create a diverse and inclusive environment where everyone feels safe, valued, and supported to bring their whole unique self to work.
We recognise that our different backgrounds and perspectives help us find better ways to: solve problems; attract and retain the best people; explore, develop, and produce more gold safely and profitably; and help make Newcrest a better place to work.
Following the recent acquisition of Pretivm, Newcrest now own and operate the Brucejack Mine located 65 kilometers north of the town of Stewart in northern British Columbia.
The Brucejack underground mine is one of the largest and highest-grade gold mines globally and as of January 1, 2021 has proven and probable mineral reserves of 3.9 million ounces of gold (14.4 million tonnes grading 8.3 grams per tonne gold) with a mine life of 12 years.
We currently have an opportunity for a Geological Assistant 3 – Grade Control Assistant to join the Brucejack Mine in Northwestern, British Columbia.
The Grade Control Assistant’s primary responsibility is providing sampling support for the Reverse Circulation definition drilling and grade control drilling operations while maintaining the highest standard of safety, quality and environmental responsibility in the work place.
Perform the following duties with safety being the number one priority:
- The Grade Control Assistant collects and prepares Reverse Circulation drill cuttings at the drill station for shipment in an underground mine setting
- Collect jumbo face samples and longhole drill samples and prepare samples for shipping.
- Operate equipment such as a underground front end loader and/or forklift to both collect and transport samples from the working area to surface for shipment
- Working as part of a crew, the Geology Assistant operates and maintains sampling and testing equipment at the sample station
- Ensures a high level of quality is maintained during sample collection and processing
- Participates in geological and geophysical underground mine survey programs, and underground field trips
- Maintains clean and organized work area ensuring spills are immediately cleaned; disposal is according to proper site procedures.
- Inspects, collects, compiles and records pre-operational and operational data and test results on all electrical and mechanical equipment and devices
- Using applicable measuring devices, inspects equipment for wear and identifies maintenance requirements and/or replacement of defective parts
- Demonstrate awareness and commitment to health, community and environmental protection in keeping with our goals and objectives
- Perform other related duties as required
What we offer:
We are committed to ensuring that our team members are kept healthy and safe. To achieve this, we provide comfortable camp accommodations, as well as balanced meals prepared by our culinary team.
Team members can expect access to TV and Wi-Fi, our on-site gym, and a variety of recreational activities.
All our team members are also rewarded with a host of great benefits, including:
- Travel allowance and arrangements made for transportation to and from site
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience, skills, and qualifications
- Ongoing training with continuous growth and development opportunities
It is important to note that the safety and wellbeing of our team is our top priority. As such, we promote a drug and alcohol-free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug and alcohol testing.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Previous experience in a Laboratory setting and an understanding of good Quality Assurance and Quality Control principles is considered an asset
- Experience in Mining, mineral processing activities, and construction activities
- Strong communication, leadership, planning, time management organizational skills
- Attention to detail and adherence to outlined processing procedures
- Knowledge of workplace safety requirements and procedures
- Ability to record and maintain daily records
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Cross cultural awareness of the differences in cultural and economic backgrounds
- Work at remote location (camp) on a 13 days on/13 days off rotation with 2 days travel
- Able to pass a pre-employment medical screening
- Must be able to lift/move up to 50lbs throughout a work shift
- Be able maintain high levels of performance over 12 hour shifts
- Able to work in areas of extreme weather conditions
- Able to work in close quarters with the team
- Able to work underground in a mine-site setting
- Able to work both dayshift and nightshift rotations
- Newcrest promotes a drug and alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug and alcohol testing
Our commitment to you:
At Newcrest, we hold core values that focus on caring about people, working together, and achieving a high-performance culture through innovation and problem solving.
Newcrest’s commitment to diversity and inclusion respects both the rights of every individual to work to their highest potential, free of discrimination, as well as the cultures, religions, and governing codes applicable to each country in which we operate.
Newcrest promotes a drug and alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug and alcohol testing.
If you share our values and feel that you could make a meaningful difference in this role, submit your application online before the advertised application closing date.
IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR AN EXCITING NEW CHALLENGE, JOIN NEWCREST AND THE BRUCEJACK MINE TODAY!