Welcome to Newmont!
Newmont has recently acquired Newcrest Mining creating the world’s leading gold mining company.
With operations around the world, our workforce reflects the diversity of the communities where we operate. We aim to create an inclusive environment where everyone feels safe, valued, and supported to bring their whole unique self to work. We bring out the best in each other, inspiring performance, and a shared belief that what we do matters.
Our Brucejack operation is now recruiting for a Geological Assistant 1 with a competitive wage of $35.62 dependent on experience, skills, and competencies with consideration to internal equity with an additional short-term incentive of 10%.
The Geological Assistant 1’s responsibility is the collection of geotechnical information from drill cores and the preparation of sample shipments.
Perform following duties, with safety being the number one priority:
- Ensure safety is given highest priority and document/report any related safety incidents and infractions in the appropriate manner.
- Demonstrate awareness and commitment to health, safety, community, and environmental protection in keeping with Newmont’s goals and objectives.
- Coordinate, transport, and unload core into the core logging facility.
- Collect and document geotechnical data from drill core.
- Prepare sample materials to streamline sampling of drill core.
- Prepare sample submissions to assay laboratories with proper QA/QC protocol.
- Assist Geologist with logging, photography, or any other needs.
- Mentor new Geological Assistants and ensure ongoing workplace and safety training occurs.
- Perform other related duties as required.
What We Offer
We are committed to ensuring that our team members are kept healthy and safe. To achieve this, we provide comfortable on-site accommodations with private washrooms, including excellent balanced meals prepared by our culinary team. Team members can expect access to TV and Wi-Fi, our on-site gym and a variety of recreational activities including a golf simulator, high-intensity fitness classes, yoga classes, seasonal snowshoeing, and hiking groups. You will also have access to a fully equipped music room while on site.
All our team members are also rewarded with a host of great benefits, including:
- Travel allowance and arrangements made for transportation to and from site.
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience, skills, and qualifications
- Competitive Benefits and Registered Retirement Savings Plan matching program
- Ongoing training with continuous growth and development opportunities
It is important to note that the safety and wellbeing of our team is our top priority. As such, we promote a drug and alcohol-free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug and alcohol testing.
Position requirements include, but are not limited to:
- Demonstrated commitment to safety, community and the environment.
- Knowledge of workplace safety requirements and procedures
- Knowledge of workplace health and safety requirements and procedures
- Strong commitment to teamwork and collaboration
- Must have strong communication skills and be able to follow direction from supervisor.
- Must have computer skills with MS Word and Excel
- Previous drill core experience would be an asset.
- Strong communication, time management and organizational skills
- Valid Class 5 drivers’ licence is preferred.
- Work at remote location (camp) on a 13 days on/13 days off rotation
- Must be able to lift/move up to 50lbs throughout a work shift.
- Be able to maintain high levels of performance over 12-hour shifts.
Our Commitment to You
Newmont is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Underpinned by our values of Safety, Sustainability, Integrity, Responsibility and Inclusion, our commitment is to respect the rights of every individual to work to their highest potential, free of discrimination, as well as the cultures, religions, and governing codes applicable to each country in which we operate.
If you share our values and feel that you could make a meaningful difference in this role, submit your application through our website before the advertised closing date.