Welcome to Newcrest!
Newcrest is one of the world's largest gold mining companies. As a global business, we aim to create a diverse and inclusive environment where everyone feels safe, valued, and supported to bring their whole unique self to work.
We recognize that our different backgrounds and perspectives help us find better ways to: solve problems; attract and retain the best people; explore, develop, and produce more gold safely and profitably; and help make Newcrest a better place to work.
The Brucejack Mine is an operating underground gold and silver mine and is considered one of the highest-grade operating gold mines in the world. It is located 65 kilometers north of the town of Stewart in northern British Columbia.
We currently have an opportunity for an Engineer-in-Training to join the Surface Operations team at the Brucejack Mine in northern British Columbia. The Engineer-in-Training’s (EIT) position is located at Brucejack/Knipple and Wildfire site and reports primarily to the Surface Operations Manager or designate.
The purpose of the EIT is to assist and support the Surface Operations Department at the Brucejack Mine with road design, layout, and construction. The incumbent is also responsible for working alongside our engineer of record for the roadway, to ensure guidance is received, and implemented in a timely manner.
Perform following duties, with safety being the number one priority:
- Conducts research to determine location and methods of road building along the Brucejack access road.
- Conducts research, collects & analyzes data and recommends lay-out design for mine construction operations such as bridge building/replacement, glacier access roads, glacier road.
- Assists in the design, development, and implementation of construction projects.
- Research and devises methods and locations for storage/stockpiling of waste materials
- Analyzes labor requirements, equipment needs and operational costs to compute and prepare operational budget reports.
- Creates and maintains cash flow models.
- Communicate project updates, recommendations, concerns, and expenses to senior staff.
- Identify problems in the access roads and develop appropriate resolutions.
- Monitor and communicate operational issues/concerns with mining contractors.
- Provide feedback and identify opportunities to enhance mine designs and plans to successfully develop the project.
- Conduct other activities to support the safe, efficient and successful development of the Brucejack Project.
- Liaise with environmental teams on road construction projects.
- Understand and ensure compliance with Newcrest safety policies and governmental safety regulations including Ministry of Mines and WorkSafeBC.
- Other duties as required.
What We Offer
We are committed to ensuring that our team members are kept healthy and safe. To achieve this, we provide comfortable on-site accommodations with private washrooms, including excellent balanced meals prepared by our culinary team. Team members can expect access to TV and Wi-Fi, our on-site gym and a variety of recreational activities including a golf simulator, high-intensity fitness classes, yoga classes, seasonal snowshoeing, and hiking groups. You will also have access to a fully equipped music room while on site.
All our team members are also rewarded with a host of great benefits, including:
- Travel allowance and arrangements made for transportation to and from site
- Competitive base salary between $85,500 – $96,100 dependant on experience, skills, and qualifications
- Ongoing training with continuous growth and development opportunities
It is important to note that the safety and wellbeing of our team is our top priority. As such, we promote a drug and alcohol-free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug and alcohol testing.
Position requirements include, but are not limited to:
- Degree in civil Engineering or relevant degree.
- A minimum of 1 year experience in civil works, road/bridge construction. Underground Mining Experience is considered an asset.
- Registered as an Engineer-in-Training with EGBC (or eligible to register as a EIT in the Province of British Columbia)
- Very strong spreadsheet and word processing skills (i.e., Microsoft Excel and Word)
- Proficiency with relevant mining software programs (i.e., AutoCAD, MineSight, or Vulcan etc.)
- Experience with databases (Microsoft Access) is an asset.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills (English).
- Leadership, planning, organizational, analytical & problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of workplace safety requirements and procedures.
- Cross cultural awareness & understanding.
- Work at remote location (camp) on a 13 days on/13 days off rotation.
- Able to pass a pre-employment medical screening.
- Must be able to lift/move up to 50lbs throughout a work shift.
- Be able to maintain high levels of performance over 12-hour shifts.
- Able to work in areas of extreme weather conditions.
- Able to work in close quarters with the team.
Our Commitment to You
At Newcrest, we hold core values that focus on caring about people, working together, and achieving a high-performance culture through innovation and problem solving.
Newcrest’s commitment to diversity and inclusion respects both the rights of every individual to work to their highest potential, free of discrimination, as well as the cultures, religions, and governing codes applicable to each country in which we operate.
If you share our values and feel that you could make a meaningful difference in this role, submit your application through our website before the advertised closing date.
IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR AN EXCITING NEW CHALLENGE, JOIN NEWCREST AND THE BRUCEJACK MINE TODAY!