Welcome to Newcrest!
Newcrest is one of the world's largest gold mining companies. As a global business, we aim to create a diverse and inclusive environment where everyone feels safe, valued, and supported to bring their whole unique self to work.
We recognise that our different backgrounds and perspectives help us find better ways to: solve problems; attract and retain the best people; explore, develop, and produce more gold safely and profitably; and help make Newcrest a better place to work.
Following the recent acquisition of Pretivm, Newcrest now own and operate the Brucejack Mine located 65 kilometers north of the town of Stewart in northern British Columbia.
The Brucejack underground mine is one of the largest and highest-grade gold mines globally and as of January 1, 2021, has proven and probable mineral reserves of 3.9 million ounces of gold (14.4 million tonnes grading 8.3 grams per tonne gold) with a mine life of 12 years.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Buyer to join the Smithers office in Northwestern, British Columbia.This position is located at Newcrest Exploration Inc.'s “Newcrest” location in Smithers, British Columbia supporting the Brucejack mine site. The Buyer’s primary report is to the Manager, Procurement or designate.
Job Purpose & Accountability:
The purpose of the position is to purchase material and supplies at competitive prices, considering quality and suitability, time restraints/requirements, and the benefits to Newcrest, both short and long term.
Perform following duties with safety being the number one priority:
- Procure materials for operations and construction from approved suppliers
- Assist in the purchasing and negotiation of equipment and materials, products and services
- Maintain and update authorized buyers lists, as may be required
- Maintain manageable job files for special “project pricing”, including price books and applicable discounts to check invoices for compliance to all pricing deals in effect
- Invite tenders, consult with suppliers, and review quotations
- Determine or negotiate contract terms and conditions, award supplier contracts or recommend contract awards
- Establish logistics of delivery schedules, monitor progress and contact clients and suppliers to resolve problems (expediting)
- Be aware of and stay up to date on production and price trends in the industry
- Maintain a professional and ethical relationship with business clients both internal and external
- Partner with job site setups, including office machine purchases, miscellaneous rentals
- Purchase and coordinate delivery of miscellaneous job site material
- Assist in, and negotiate the return of material and follow up to see that credit invoices are received and properly applied
What we can offer you:
We are committed to ensuring that our team members are kept healthy and safe. To achieve this, we provide comfortable camp accommodations, as well as balanced meals prepared by our culinary team.
Team members can expect access to TV and Wi-Fi, our on-site gym, and a variety of recreational activities.
All our team members are also rewarded with a host of great benefits, including:
- Travel allowance and arrangements made for transportation to and from site
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience, skills, and qualifications
- Ongoing training with continuous growth and development opportunities
It is important to note that the safety and wellbeing of our team is our top priority. As such, we promote a drug and alcohol-free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug and alcohol testing.
- Related experience in Purchasing and Materials Management preferably in mining or heavy industry
- Have a working knowledge of equipment parts, building supplies, pipes, valves, and fittings
- Proficiency in MS Excel and MS Word
- Experience with JD Edwards ERP
- Self-starter with ability to multi-task and meet deadlines in a busy environment with the potential for competing priorities
- Strong organizational skills
- Work with remote location where operations are 24/7
- Able to pass a pre-employment medical screening
- Role is office based in Smithers BC with trips to site as required
Our commitment to you:
At Newcrest, we hold core values that focus on caring about people, working together, and achieving a high-performance culture through innovation and problem solving.
Newcrest’s commitment to diversity and inclusion respects both the rights of every individual to work to their highest potential, free of discrimination, as well as the cultures, religions, and governing codes applicable to each country in which we operate.
Newcrest promotes a drug and alcohol-free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug and alcohol testing.
If you share our values and feel that you could make a meaningful difference in this role, submit your application online before the advertised application closing date.
IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR AN EXCITING NEW CHALLENGE, JOIN NEWCREST AND THE BRUCEJACK MINE TODAY!