Welcome to Newcrest!
Newcrest is one of the world's largest gold mining companies. As a global business, we aim to create a diverse and inclusive environment where everyone feels safe, valued, and supported to bring their whole unique self to work.
We recognise that our different backgrounds and perspectives help us find better ways to: solve problems; attract and retain the best people; explore, develop, and produce more gold safely and profitably; and help make Newcrest a better place to work.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Business Analyst to join our Vancouver Regional Office. This position is located at Newcrest's Vancouver Office with coverage at the Brucejack Mine site as required. The Business Analyst's primary report is to the Site Mine Controller or designate.
The employee will be an integral part of the mine-site operations team. The Business Analyst will be familiar with current and new accounting conventions related to mine cost principle and will be responsible for assisting mine management identify cost / benefits of key operating activities.
Responsibilities will include application of accounting policies and procedures, analysis of results, budgeting, forecast, and preparation of periodic management reports related to all operating and capital expenditures and spending at Brucejack mine.
The Business Analyst responsibilities include:
- Assist in reviewing and supporting the capital expenditure request approval process (CER process).
- Assisting the senior business analysts in the preparation of the mine site budgets, and forecasts by working with the operational departments to ensure submissions are timely, and accurate.
- Establishing effective and continuous communication with operations management to provide support and ensure accurate capital and operations reporting.
- Support department managers with the financial (cost vs benefit) assessment of initiatives, and the development of business cases analysing ROI, FCF, NPV, and payback period of new capital investments.
- Assist in project close outs and capitalization of capital projects.
- Maintain adherence to mine-site accounting principles and procedures, monitor work processes, recommend, and implement improvements to those workflows.
- Maintaining data integrity of the fixed assets sub-ledger and providing monthly reconciliation against the General Ledger.
- Analysing current and past trends in key performance indicators including all areas of the operation
- Assist in delivering timely and accurate capital commentary requirements on monthly capital review meetings as well as quarterly, half year, and full year reporting.
- Prepare required month-end related journal entries and assist in month-end close activities.
- Assist in preparation of monthly cost and production reports including relevant KPI reports.
- Developing insightful analysis that identifies opportunities and threats to capital budget and most current forecast by identifying key drivers of variances.
- Support in the improvement efforts and automation of FP&A platform and BI dashboards.
- Ad-Hoc Reporting and Analysis.
What we offer:
All our team members are rewarded with a host of great benefits, including:
- Extended Health and Dental benefits and insurance for eligible employees
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience, skills, and qualifications
- Ongoing training with continuous growth and development opportunities
- This position requires a bachelor's degree in Business Administration with a major in accounting.
- CPA designation is preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in mining or natural resource extractive industry or any combination of experience, education, and training.
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Power BI is an asset.
- Knowledge of technical and professional principles and skills related to extractive industry accounting.
- Knowledge and use of analytical tools in operation performance, cost/benefit analysis, as well as return on investment analysis
- Previous working knowledge of ERP systems (preferably JD Edwards or SAP) and ability to utilize reporting and analytical tools to fulfil requirements of position.
- Ability to maintain good working relationships with co-workers, supervisor at site and head office.
- A positive attitude with strong drive and initiative to problem-solve around challenging situations.
- Ability to meet deadlines without compromising accuracy and strong analytical skills with high attention to detail.
- Self-starter and self-directed, learns quickly and adapts to changing demands and priorities.
Our commitment to you:
At Newcrest, we hold core values that focus on caring about people, working together, and achieving a high-performance culture through innovation and problem solving.
Newcrest’s commitment to diversity and inclusion respects both the rights of every individual to work to their highest potential, free of discrimination, as well as the cultures, religions, and governing codes applicable to each country in which we operate.
Newcrest promotes a drug and alcohol-free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug and alcohol testing.
If you share our values and feel that you could make a meaningful difference in this role, submit your application online before the advertised application closing date.
IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR AN EXCITING NEW CHALLENGE, JOIN NEWCREST TODAY!