Welcome to Newcrest!
Newcrest is one of the world's largest gold mining companies. As a global business, we aim to create a diverse and inclusive environment where everyone feels safe, valued, and supported to bring their whole unique self to work.
We recognise that our different backgrounds and perspectives help us find better ways to: solve problems; attract and retain the best people; explore, develop, and produce more gold safely and profitably; and help make Newcrest a better place to work.
Following the recent acquisition of Pretivm, Newcrest now own and operate the Brucejack Mine located 65 kilometers north of the town of Stewart in northern British Columbia.
The Brucejack underground mine is one of the largest and highest-grade gold mines globally and as of January 1, 2021 has proven and probable mineral reserves of 3.9 million ounces of gold (14.4 million tonnes grading 8.3 grams per tonne gold) with a mine life of 12 years.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Procurement Specialist to join our Vancouver Regional Office.
The successful candidate will provide safe, efficient, and effective first nation, indigenous or landowners business opportunities in accordance with legal requirements and company objectives. Provide performance reporting and documentation; identify, report on, and recommend opportunities; drive and monitor ongoing improvement focused on safety, sustainability, and value creation. Responsibility for developing first nation, indigenous or landowners engagement to meet current and future business needs while supporting Procurement Excellence and continuous improvement initiatives.
- The accountabilities for the Snr Specialist – Local Contracts to be delivered through inspired leadership focused on duty of care, operational discipline, value creation and continuous improvement are:
- Support share holder and corporate value through demonstrated achievement toward the strategic objectives
- Ensure effective safety and health management across areas of accountability through high standards of housekeeping, effective critical controls, and proactive elimination of hazards
- Role model and effect sustainable improvement in supervisory and workforce practices to deliver on current and future business needs
- Driving operational discipline in alignment with business priorities and expectations through clearly defining what is expected, ensuring understanding of expectations, verifying that expectations are delivered on and leading by example
- Collaborate with peers and management in identifying and pursuing cross discipline initiatives to deliver on business needs
- Instill a no-nonsense high-performance culture of operational discipline and accountability; ensures effective communications across work areas, clarity of expectations and continuous review of performance measures to consistently deliver the business objectives
- Lead, coach, mentor and support employees and direct reports to understand and deliver on the planning commitments
- Identify the need for change to deliver on operational objectives; supports, drives, and monitors change initiatives
- Elevates developing issues and concerns to the Departmental Manager for consultation and advice to reach agreed interventions and solutions, report back on the effectiveness
- Enhances awareness and understanding of Newcrest Impact Benefit Co- Management Agreement (IBCA) with the Tahltan Central Government (TCG) for Red Chris and multiple Impact Benefit Agreements for Brucjack to all levels within the organization and external to Newcrest.
- Participates in the identification, development and roll out of business process improvements to enhance the operational efficiency of first nation, indigenous or landowners procurement, including designing and drafting documentation, forms, templates, etc., to ensure consistent application of the IBCA or IBA’s across the organization
- Works collaboratively with business groups to identify first nation, indigenous or landowners procurement opportunities, recommends procurement models and appropriate sourcing methods, and supports the development and implementation of first nation, indigenous or landowners procurement strategies.
- Participates in strategic planning and needs assessment for Newcrest’s first nation, indigenous or landowners procurement targets and commitments
- Reports regularly to the Newcrest Senior Leadership Team and the Manager-Procurement on the status of first nation, indiginous or landowners procurement initiatives, troubleshoots and escalates any issues that may negatively impact the success of the procurement process, along with recommendations for resolution
- Prepares quarterly reports, as required for external first nation, indigenous or landowner’s stakeholders
- Coordinates first nation, indigenous or landowners Contracts Manager procurement meetings, responds to procurement queries, and manages first nation, indigenous or landowners procurement records and IBCA or IBA reporting requirements.
- Facilitates outreach to First nation, indigenous or landowners Territory communities and businesses to support business development through educational and other initiatives.
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with key stakeholders at all levels within the organization and external to Newcrest
- Establish and maintain communication median such video tutorials for first nation, indigenous or landowner’s contractors and suppliers on requirements to provide goods or services to Newcrest mine sites
What we offer:
All our team members are rewarded with a host of great benefits, including:
- Extended Health and Dental benefits and insurance for eligible employees
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience, skills, and qualifications
- Ongoing training with continuous growth and development opportunities
- Business Management, Supply Chain, Accounting, Law, Business Development or similar
- Logistics and Materials Management or similar
- Project Management or similar (desirable)
- Ability to lead, develop, coach and mentor teams
- Highly capable in negotiation and influence
- Ability to formulate strong business relationships (internal and external)
- Experience in management of change
- Experience communicating effectively to a wide range of audiences, both in writing (e.g., briefings, announcements, brochures) and verbally (e.g., presentations, meetings, one-on-one)
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication, presentation, negotiation, planning and organizational skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office tools
- Proficient with P2P platforms such as SAP
- Experience with Power BI
- Experience in contractual and commercial terms
- Experience in commercial and market analytics
- Experience in funding mechanisms that assist first nation, indigenous or landowner’s groups economic development programs
- Experience in heavy industry contracts, procurement, and logistics
- Proficient in the fundamentals of economic development and the roles of first nation, indigenous or landowner’s groups, government, and business play
- Experience in contract negotiations and conflict resolution
- Experience with business opportunity development for first nation, indigenous or landowner’s groups desirable
- Experience collaborating with cross-functional teams in complex business environments, with multiple stakeholders and strategic considerations
- Ability for strategic and pragmatic thinking, and a growth mindset. Able to make decisions taking into consideration an array of perspectives
Our commitment to you:
At Newcrest, we hold core values that focus on caring about people, working together, and achieving a high-performance culture through innovation and problem solving.
Newcrest’s commitment to diversity and inclusion respects both the rights of every individual to work to their highest potential, free of discrimination, as well as the cultures, religions, and governing codes applicable to each country in which we operate.
Newcrest promotes a drug and alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug and alcohol testing.
If you share our values and feel that you could make a meaningful difference in this role, submit your application online before the advertised application closing date.
IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR AN EXCITING NEW CHALLENGE, JOIN NEWCREST TODAY!