Environmental Resources Management (ERM) is a leading global provider of environmental, health, safety, risk, and social consulting services. We are currently seeking a Principal Environmental Assessment Consultant to join our team in Vancouver, BC, Calgary AB, Toronto, ON, or one of our other Canadian offices to support our Canadian Regulatory and Permitting team. Applicants may be based remotely but should be willing to travel occasionally to one of ERM’s offices or to a client site, as needed.
The role requires experience in the infrastructure or natural resource development sector—particularly in the renewable energy, transportation, oil and gas, or mining sectors—combined with a demonstrated understanding of applicable provincial/territorial and federal regulatory and permitting requirements. The successful candidate will become a senior member of ERM Canada’s Regulatory and Permitting team, and will be connected with ERM’s global team of environmental and social experts.
This posting is designed for a resourceful, motivated person with strong experience and skills in environmental assessment who enjoys problem-solving and leading teams within a challenging and fast-paced multi-stakeholder environment.
- Provide technical direction and regulatory leadership for projects advancing through provincial / territorial / federal environmental assessment processes. This includes working closely with ERM Partners and Project Managers to provide regulatory support to clients, lead internal technical teams, and ensure the timely delivery of quality products that fully meet the client and regulator’s requirements.
- Lead engagement activities with regulators, Indigenous groups, communities, and stakeholders as part of the project design and regulatory process.
- Provide expert technical input and guidance to team members on the application of regulatory and permitting requirements applicable to client projects, with a view to developing technical expertise across sectors and regulatory jurisdictions.
- Work on multiple projects, supporting management and execution of scope/budget/schedule to meet client's expectations and ensure quality standards on project deliverables.
- Execute activities such as conducting environmental assessment application scoping; managing information requirements/requests; technical writing; researching and reviewing data and regulations/guidance; collecting and integrating input from ERM’s subject matter experts; preparing permit and environmental management plans; delegating GIS, data compilation and desktop publishing assignments to support applications; and developing recommendations for clients.
- Build strong collaborative relationships with other ERM employees worldwide.
- Lead preparation of technical proposals, including development of technical scopes and cost estimates, and participate in business development with existing clients and identified leads.
- Partake in ERM internal and external training opportunities to maintain and grow work-related skills and remain current on changes to regulatory requirements.
- Actively embrace and support ERM’s leading health and safety training and workplace environment.
Depending on the skills, experience and interest of the candidate selected, this role also may also include project management of a variety of permitting, regulatory and environmental impact assessment tasks in support of clients’ projects.
QUALIFICATIONS & DESIRABLE SKILLS:
- Master’s degree or higher in environmental sciences, environmental engineering, environmental management, or related field.
- 12+ years of experience in environmental consulting, or equivalent industry experience within relevant business sectors.
- Registration, or eligibility to apply to become a registered professional with a combination of academic and professional experience to be considered a Qualified Professional for oversight of and/or certifying regulatory deliverables is an asset.
- In-depth knowledge of federal, provincial, and territorial regulations and guidelines (in particular, familiarity with environmental assessment processes in British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario, Yukon, Northwest Territories and/or Nunavut).
- Understanding of other regulatory and permitting requirements and compliance management as they relate to mining, oil and gas, renewable energy, and transportation projects is an asset.
- Excellent writing, communication, organization, and time management skills.
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines in a demanding work environment.
- Experience working and leading as part of an integrated team providing technical deliverables for input into environmental assessment applications.
- Experience providing direction to client consulting teams regarding assessment application content requirements which contribute to successful regulatory review.
- Experience with community, Indigenous and stakeholder engagement.
- Attentive to identifying innovative solutions to complex projects and striving for sustainable outcomes.
- Experience in capital project management and coordination of multi-disciplinary projects and teams is a desirable asset.
- Fluency in multiple languages (Indigenous languages, English and French) is an asset.
- Strong commitment to safety, including following established health and safety protocols.
- Strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusiveness in the workplace.
Please follow the link to our careers site to apply below:
Qualified candidates will be contacted by email. Based on review of these responses, shortlisted candidates will be invited for interviews. Thank you for your interest in ERM!
Environmental Resources Management (ERM) is a leading global provider of environmental, health, safety, risk, social consulting services and sustainability related services. We have more than 160 offices in over 40 countries and territories employing more than 4,500 people who work on projects around the world. ERM is committed to providing a service that is consistent, professional and of the highest quality to create value for our clients. We have worked with many of the Global Fortune 500 companies delivering innovative solutions for business and selected government clients helping them understand and manage the sustainability challenges that the world is increasingly facing.
For over 40 years we have been working with clients around the world and in diverse industry sectors to help them to understand and manage their environmental, health, safety, risk and social impacts. The key sectors we serve include Oil & Gas, Mining, Power, and Manufacturing, Chemical and Pharmaceutical. All face critical sustainability challenges and our clients in these and many other areas rely on our ability to assist them operate more sustainably which has a positive impact on our planet.
Our people are outstanding, our workplace is energized! And we continuously strive to be the preferred place for environmental and other professionals to build meaningful and rewarding careers.
ERM is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
ERM does not accept recruiting agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, ERM employees or any other company location. ERM is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.