Welcome to Newcrest!
Newcrest is one of the world's largest gold mining companies. As a global business, we aim to create a diverse and inclusive environment where everyone feels safe, valued, and supported to bring their whole unique self to work.
We recognise that our different backgrounds and perspectives help us find better ways to: solve problems; attract and retain the best people; explore, develop, and produce more gold safely and profitably; and help make Newcrest a better place to work.
Following the recent acquisition of Pretivm, Newcrest now own and operate the Brucejack Mine located 65 kilometers north of the town of Stewart in northern British Columbia.
The Brucejack underground mine is one of the largest and highest-grade gold mines globally and as of January 1, 2021, has proven and probable mineral reserves of 3.9 million ounces of gold (14.4 million tonnes grading 8.3 grams per tonne gold) with a mine life of 12 years.
This position is located at Newcrest’s Brucejack site within the Maintenance Department. The position’s primary report is to the Camps Maintenance Supervisors or designate.
The Plumbers Apprentice position’s primary purpose and responsibility is to build capacity within the Mill Operations Department at the Brucejack Mine and establish a career path for eligible participants to support future growth of the organization. The Plumber Apprentice is accountable for the successful and timely completion of studies and assigned tasks in a safe, effective and efficient manner
Perform following duties, with safety being the number one priority:
- Assist with the assembly of pipe sections, tubing, and fittings, using couplings, clamps, screws, bolts, cement, plastic solvent, caulking, or soldering, brazing, and welding equipment.
- As directed, fill pipes or plumbing fixtures with water or air and observe pressure gauges to detect and locate leaks.
- Learn to read blueprints and building codes and specifications to determine work details and procedures.
- Study building plans and become familiar with structures, material & equipment
- Locate and mark the position of pipe installations, connections, passage holes, and fixtures in structures, using measuring instruments such as rulers and levels.
- Measure, cut, thread, and bend pipe to required angle, using hand and power tools or machines such as pipe cutters, pipe-threading machines, and pipe-bending machines.
- Install pipe assemblies, fittings, valves and appliances (i.e., Dishwashers, water heaters, sinks and toilets etc.)
- Cut openings in structures to accommodate pipes and pipe fittings, using hand and power tools.
- Hang steel supports from ceiling joists to hold pipes in place.
- Install storm, sanitary and water piping systems.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Ensure safe work practices, EH&S processes, and OH&S compliance are followed on site.
- Assist with the lay out, assembly, fabrication, maintenance & repair of plumbing systems.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Must be able to take direction from journeyman and follow those directives.
What we offer:
We are committed to ensuring that our team members are kept healthy and safe. To achieve this, we provide comfortable camp accommodations, as well as balanced meals prepared by our culinary team.
Team members can expect access to TV and Wi-Fi, our on-site gym, and a variety of recreational activities.
All our team members are also rewarded with a host of great benefits, including:
- Travel allowance and arrangements made for transportation to and from site
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience, skills, and qualifications
- Ongoing training with continuous growth and development opportunities
It is important to note that the safety and wellbeing of our team is our top priority. As such, we promote a drug and alcohol-free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug and alcohol testing.
- Must be 18 years of age and have successfully completed high school (GED equivalent)
- Mathematical, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Physical strength, manual dexterity, and good hand-eye coordination
- Ability to read and interpret drawings, blueprints, sketches, and code specifications
- Demonstrated knowledge of safety procedures
- Able and willing to work at a remote camp location on a 2-week rotation schedule
- Able to pass employment medical screening
- Must be able to wear personal protective equipment including the use of a respirator
- Must be able to lift/move up to 50lbs throughout a work shift
- Able to work in areas of extreme weather conditions
- Comfortable working in close quarters with the team & in extreme weather conditions
- A steamfitter/pipefitter apprentice must complete a four-year program including 5,620 workplace hours and 780 in-school hours of training
If you share our values and feel that you could make a meaningful difference in this role, submit your application online before the advertised application closing date.
IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR AN EXCITING NEW CHALLENGE, JOIN NEWCREST AND THE BRUCEJACK MINE TODAY!