Welcome to Newcrest!
Newcrest is one of the world's largest gold mining companies. As a global business, we aim to create a diverse and inclusive environment where everyone feels safe, valued, and supported to bring their whole unique self to work.
We recognise that our different backgrounds and perspectives help us find better ways to: solve problems; attract and retain the best people; explore, develop, and produce more gold safely and profitably; and help make Newcrest a better place to work.
Following the recent acquisition of Pretivm, Newcrest now own and operate the Brucejack Mine located 65 kilometers north of the town of Stewart in northern British Columbia.
The Brucejack underground mine is one of the largest and highest-grade gold mines globally and as of January 1, 2021 has proven and probable mineral reserves of 3.9 million ounces of gold (14.4 million tonnes grading 8.3 grams per tonne gold) with a mine life of 12 years.
The Junior Mine Engineer position is located at Newcrest Mining’s Brucejack site within the Technical Services Department. The position’s primary report is to the Chief Mining Engineer or designate.
This role is meant to be an entry level position, where the candidate will grow through a variety of disciplines. The candidate will gain exposure to the different departments of engineering including but not limited to vent, drill and blast, planning, geotechnical and production. The starting point for this role will depend on the needs of the operation, with the intent to develop through their EIT period.
The incumbent is also responsible for researching, collecting, and tabulating engineering data to support the safe and efficient implementation of mine development engineering systems in a safe, professional, and timely manner.
Perform a variety of the following duties, with safety being the number one priority:
- Designing and issuing of Longhole Drill Packages, Blast Packages, and other drill designs as required for maintaining the ore production for the week plan as allocated from the Drill and Blast Engineer.
- Assist the Short-Range Planner with creating and issuing development plots.
- Point of contact for the collection of daily and monthly production data; validation, reporting, and billing with the site contractor.
- Perform underground air ventilation and quality surveys at mining areas on periodic basis in both a supervised and unsupervised setting while working with the Ventilation Engineer.
- Communicate project updates, recommendations, concerns, and expenses to senior staff.
- Monitor and communicate operational issues/concerns with mining contractors.
- Business improvement projects as identified by the Chief Engineer.
- Perform small scale studies on production, efficiencies, practices, etc. on an ad-hoc basis (such as overbreak analysis, stope method analysis, drill performances, haulage studies, equipment selection, etc.).
- Exposure to underground surveying; to be able to cover for the survey department as needed. This will include completing underground face surveys, marking up Longhole Drill rings, performing Cavity Monitoring Surveys, and similar.
- Conduct other activities to support the safe, efficient, and successful development of the Brucejack Mine.
- Responsible for the upkeep of underground refuge maps.
- Be an active participant in Brucejack’s safety culture. This includes participation in daily toolbox meetings and weekly safety meetings, completing hazard ID’s, near miss reports, Field Level Hazard Assessments when performing tasks, and assisting in completing Job Hazard Analysis when performing non routine work.
- Understand and ensure compliance with Brucejack safety policies and governmental safety regulations including Ministry of Mines and WorksafeBC.
- Other duties as required.
What we offer:
We are committed to ensuring that our team members are kept healthy and safe. To achieve this, we provide comfortable camp accommodations, as well as balanced meals prepared by our culinary team.
Team members can expect access to TV and Wi-Fi, our on-site gym, and a variety of recreational activities.
All our team members are also rewarded with a host of great benefits, including:
- Travel allowance and arrangements made for transportation to and from site
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience, skills, and qualifications
- Ongoing training with continuous growth and development opportunities
It is important to note that the safety and wellbeing of our team is our top priority. As such, we promote a drug and alcohol-free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug and alcohol testing.
Position requirements include, but are not limited to:
BSc. Degree in Mining Engineering or equivalent with zero to three (0 – 3) years of experience in an underground mining environment. Co-op experience considered an asset. The candidate should be enrolled or planning to enroll as an EIT.
- Strong spreadsheet and word processing skills (i.e., Microsoft Excel and Word)
- Exposure with relevant mining software programs (i.e., AutoCAD, MineSight, or Vulcan etc.) an asset.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills (English)
- Leadership, planning, organizational, analytical, & problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of workplace safety requirements and procedures
- Cross cultural awareness & understanding
- Ability to drive a manual transmission an asset.
- Work at remote location (camp) on 13 days on, 13 days off, 2 travel days schedule
- Able to pass a pre-employment medical screening
- Must be able to lift/move up to 50lbs throughout a work shift
- Be able maintain high levels of performance over 12-hour shifts
- Able to work in areas of extreme weather conditions.
- Able to work in close quarters with the team
Our commitment to you:
At Newcrest, we hold core values that focus on caring about people, working together, and achieving a high-performance culture through innovation and problem solving.
Newcrest’s commitment to diversity and inclusion respects both the rights of every individual to work to their highest potential, free of discrimination, as well as the cultures, religions, and governing codes applicable to each country in which we operate.
Newcrest promotes a drug and alcohol-free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug and alcohol testing.
If you share our values and feel that you could make a meaningful difference in this role, submit your application online before the advertised application closing date.
IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR AN EXCITING NEW CHALLENGE, JOIN NEWCREST AND THE BRUCEJACK MINE TODAY!