This is a fantastic opportunity for an Environmental Consultant, Fisheries Biologist looking to advance their career with a global environmental leader, and to make a significant impact in successfully implementing ERM's global strategy.
- Travel to beautiful, remote locations across Canada
- Work on major, multimillion-dollar projects
- Be a key member of a rapidly growing team of fisheries specialists delivering project work within Canada and globally
- Work out of one of our Vancouver or Smithers, BC offices, or work flexibly from home
We want to do great things; we need your help
ERM is a leading global provider of environmental, health, safety, risk, and social consulting services with offices in over 40 countries. We have worked with many of the Global Fortune 500 companies delivering innovative solutions for business and selected government clients helping them understand and manage the sustainability challenges that the world is increasingly facing. The breadth of experience over our 50-year history means we have an extraordinary track record and excel at taking on complex and challenging projects.
Our clients are primarily in the mining and energy sectors, and we support water management through all phases of the project life cycle. We are currently engaged in exciting, transformative projects with major clients.
As a fisheries biologist, you will be a member of a large Freshwater and Marine Sciences team in Canada, working within a multidisciplinary community of toxicologists, geochemists, hydrologists, aquatic scientists, and wildlife biologists (among other disciplines), and will become a member of an extensive team of global environmental and social experts. This is an opportunity to contribute to aquatic environmental assessments and permitting for large-scale capital projects.
- Design and implement fish and fish habitat field programs in streams, rivers, and lakes throughout Canada.
- Contribute to the development and monitoring of fisheries offsetting and compensation programs.
- Compile, manage and analyze fish habitat, community, and biology data, and contribute to database management.
- Draft technical reports, or sections of reports, including environmental monitoring, environmental permitting, and impact assessment.
- Actively contribute to ERM’s international aquatics and fisheries technical communities.
Who you are:
- MSc in Fisheries Biology or similar discipline.
- Registered Professional Biologist (or equivalent), or eligible to apply
- 2+ years of experience, including field experience in fish and fish habitat assessment, fish sampling on lakes and rivers, water quality sampling, and aquatic biology (experience with hydrology, instream flow assessment, hydroacoustic/bathymetric assessment, fish habitat offsetting are also assets).
- Strong commitment to safety, including following established Health & Safety procedures.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of the Federal, Provincial and Territorial regulations and guidelines as they apply to the mining and oil & gas sectors.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines in a dynamic and fast-paced environment with the ability to multi-task, maintain flexibility, work independently with minimal supervision, and travel.
- Strong statistical skills using the open source program R.
- Excellent problem solving abilities and advanced writing/communication skills.
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record.
- Pleasure Craft Operators license.
- Electrofishing training, Occupational First Aid, Swiftwater Rescue Training are assets.
- French language skills an asset.
- Positive outlook, collaborative, self-starter who takes initiative, and is inspired by the success of ERM as a global company.
Please follow the link to our careers site to apply below:
Qualified candidates will be contacted by email. Based on review of these responses, shortlisted candidates will be invited for interviews. Thank you for your interest in ERM!
Environmental Resources Management (ERM) is a leading global provider of environmental, health, safety, risk, social consulting services and sustainability related services. We have more than 160 offices in over 40 countries and territories employing more than 4,500 people who work on projects around the world. ERM is committed to providing a service that is consistent, professional and of the highest quality to create value for our clients. We have worked with many of the Global Fortune 500 companies delivering innovative solutions for business and selected government clients helping them understand and manage the sustainability challenges that the world is increasingly facing.
For over 40 years we have been working with clients around the world and in diverse industry sectors to help them to understand and manage their environmental, health, safety, risk and social impacts. The key sectors we serve include Oil & Gas, Mining, Power, and Manufacturing, Chemical and Pharmaceutical. All face critical sustainability challenges and our clients in these and many other areas rely on our ability to assist them operate more sustainably which has a positive impact on our planet.
Our people are outstanding, our workplace is energized! And we continuously strive to be the preferred place for environmental and other professionals to build meaningful and rewarding careers.
ERM is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
ERM does not accept recruiting agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, ERM employees or any other company location. ERM is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.